Flavour stability in kegged beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amarks6

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what factors affect the stability of kegged beer flavour over time?

For example, I recently brewed a LCPA clone that, in the first week of drinking was indistinguishable from the real deal (in a blind tasting). However, three weeks later, it had morphed into something completely different - not unpleasant - just different.

Cheers.

First and foremost I'd say oxidisation, it takes some time to take effect. That aside, maybe just aroma dissipation.. You could try dry hopping the keg with whatever the recipe called for (understood you probably did this once but you may need to do it again to restore aroma)

Beer will always change.
As I posted recently in another thread, various irreversible reactions begin at least as far back as malting.

To keep beer fresher longer, reducing exposure to heat, light and oxygen are the major factors but you cannot entirely avoid changes occurring over time.

There are steps in the brewing and fermentation process which will also contribute to longer term stability. Avoiding prolonged contact with large amounts of yeast, avoiding hot wort and cold beer splashing, a good, solid boil, good cleanliness and sanitation and healthy yeast pitch are a few major ones.

Back