Flasks On Stir Plate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user3673

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is a reason erlenmeyer flasks are preferred over say a beaker, do they create a better vortex or something? I understand the hot to cold advantage, but is there others?

I have been using various size moccona coffee jars, but since having a someone working in our unit's back room they seem to have gone from the shelf since yesterday, I dare say that they may be in our bin in small pieces :angry:

So I need to replace them.

I thought along the lines of a narrower opening so less chance of airbourne contaminates entering whilst transferring etc. Just guessing though, maybe cause they look cool too.

Definitely for the look.

As DLR once said, "an ounce of image is worth a pound of performance"

Also:
- saves money on smaller pieces of aluminium foil for the top
- lower centre of gravity makes it harder to knock over while staggering around on brew day
- less starter slops out of top when partially knocked over while staggering around on brew day
- harder to accidentally mistake for a pint glass and take a swig on brew day
- good reason not to drink so much on brew day due to breakage
- too hard to jam huntsman spiders down the neck so is left alone by the kids

the list is endless :)

I use a 1litre flask to make about 600ml of starter, if I want more, I use a gallon jug on the stir plate and make about a 2-2.5 litre starter.

The flask is good because you can actually boil your starter wort directly in the flask as its made of the right kind of glass. Borocillic glass (.sp??)

Wikipedia has this to say

"The conical flask is similar to the beaker, but is distinguished by its narrow neck. The neck allows the flask to be stoppered using rubber bungs or cotton wool. The conical shape allows the contents to be swirled or stirred during an experiment (as is required in titration); the narrow neck keeps the contents from spilling. The smaller neck also slows evaporative loss better than a beaker. The flat bottom of the conical flask makes it unlikely to tip over, unlike the Florence flask."

plus they look cool

Back