Flakes In My Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayzi

Reaction score
I've never had this happen before. :blink: I've just picked up a few bottles of a brew thats been sitting for about 5 weeks and noticed that there are flakes of ????? sinking from the top to the bottom, and there are heaps of them! what are they. I haven't cracked one yet as they are yet to go in th fridge...what has happened to my beer :(

Edit - ok I just had a closer look, it looks like the caps haven't sealed on a few of them properly. There's a few that its happened to, so much for inebirated capping, bugger.

Still what is this? some sort of fungus or mould from the air getting in? These are just a simple Coopers kit brew.

Think your guess is as good as ours !

Was going to suggest it wa just lots of yeast, but if the caps haven't sealed properly could be any kinda weird strain of mould in there, or even a rogue yeast.

Are they grey flakes? I think I've come across this before. I really have no idea what it is. My beers that had the 'flakes' were definitely sealed properly.

Did you, by chance, use finings of some sort?

yeah I threw in some finings let that settle through, racked through to a secondary for a week or two , and bottled, priming each bottle with dextrose.

Back