Flaked Oats

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozpowell

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it ok to just use supermarket/health food store bought oats when a recipe calls for flaked oats? I assume rolled oats are different (? - what is the difference?), but I'm pretty sure you can buy flaked oats as well, right?

Thanks again,
Michael. :)

Rolled oats are fine. Minute oats are fine. Flaked oats are fine. I think any oats you can buy in the supermarket you can just toss in the mash tun. :unsure:

But thats noo how yah make porridge

(dont forget the accent)

Rolled oats are fine. Minute oats are fine. Flaked oats are fine. I think any oats you can buy in the supermarket you can just toss in the mash tun. :unsure:

yes you are right Stu I checked with TL

Pumpy :)

Im pretty sure rolled and flaked are the same but rolled has more of the husk removed. There is a big thread on oatmeal stout and everyone was using Uncle Tobys Quick Oats which can be chucked straight in the mash.

Yep, you can chuck quick oats in the mash.

Just for good distribution's sake I put them in with my uncrushed grainbill and just feed the whole lot through the mill. Helps to turn it to fines/flour in with the rest of the grist. B)

Warren -

A few brewers up here toast their flaked oats in the oven for 75 minutes, turning every 15. Supposed to add a little more "oatiness" to a stout. Any comments?

:beer:

Got some toasted oats in my current bitter in the Primary Pete. Did pretty much the same thing.

I'll let you know in about 2 weeks. ;)

Warren -

Latest posts

Back