Flagship Barley.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a heads up - this is coming closer to its limited release run called "flagship"

If u know someone u can get a sample of it now ;)

a grower has given me a 20L bucket full of flagship and promised me a few cans from his free carton in exchange for a few HBs :)

Ok, i had a taste of this flagship beer from a mate who was given a free sample.

All i can say is its a limited edition beer. Dont go breaking your back to try it. Big malt flavour tasted like shiet.

We broke out my homebrew to get rid of the mouth flavour after taste it left...

I watched a doco on landline about this new strain ages ago, and it seemed at the time to me that all the emphasis was on yield & $$$, specifically targeted at the Asian market, and had sweet f'all to do with improving the beer itself...
Such a shame. All that effort to find out that a 20 dollar bill tastes the same as it always did...

Well, thats a bit dramatic isnt it?

Its a new vareity of Barley, not a new type of beer. Its not as if we are talking about a brewery making a crappy beer that will appeal to Asian markets, we are talking about an industry which has been able to produce a new malting barley variety which has shown significant improvements on current varieties. It wasnt ever supposed to make the beer taste different, why would it? It certainly wont make beer taste any worse!

As it is a new barley variety, rather than a new type of beer you would expect that the focus would be on its adavantages out in the paddock, and in the market. Advantages such as a high resistance to disease, and increase in yield, improved head retention (on the plant itself) and growth vigor, all important to the growers, who need to accept and produce this variety. And for the market you have a higher quality malt, with a high diastatic power resulting in a more highly fermentable extract.

Also, its not as if we are sacrificing anything for marketability! Its hardly going to taste "worse" than current varieties. This product will appeal predominantly to brewers that are after a high DP malt, in order to produce a dry beer, it wont be used to make beers "dryer". It is particularly expected to be highly sought after in Asia, possibly for these qualities.

Japan buy 600,000 tonnes of malt each year, 30% of which is shipped all the way from Canada, and 15% comes from Australia. Large breweries in Japan are already showing an interest in Flagship. What could possibly be wrong with producing a better quality malting barley variety which promises higher yields and the possibility of providing higher exports, and better profits for our struggling farmers?

Jeremy.

PS. now look who is getting dramatic!

Well, thats a bit dramatic isnt it?

Its a new vareity of Barley, not a new type of beer.
As it is a new barley variety, rather than a new type of beer...

You are mistaken a little to what i was referring to. Coopers have made a limited release beer called "flagship" to celebrate the flagship barley u are referring to.

Yes there are advantages, of which u listed, however i cant see the point of having such a great new malt if they make an end result that isnt better (if not worse in a friends and mine) taste wise.

Im all for better grain, but the limited edition flagship beer i was referring to tasted awful..

can you elaborate? was it dry, or hopless or what?

You are mistaken a little to what i was referring to. Coopers have made a limited release beer called "flagship" to celebrate the flagship barley u are referring to.

Yes there are advantages, of which u listed, however i cant see the point of having such a great new malt if they make an end result that isnt better (if not worse in a friends and mine) taste wise.

Im all for better grain, but the limited edition flagship beer i was referring to tasted awful..

Yeah, sorry. I should have addressed my reply to the other fella, Domonsura, I didn't mean your post.

I guess in the defense of the limited release beer it wasnt sold commercially, it was just an experimental batch for promotional purposes. The beers that are commercially released through Coopers would be subject to extensive trialling, and fine adjustment to get to the product we enjoy. This probably wasn't meant to be a world class beer, it was just supposed to commemorate the release of a new barley variety.

Jeremy.

my terminology of beer flavour is rather limited. All i can say is its a very malty flavour and a little of the usual bitterness taste. I wouldnt want to drink this then weaker beers afterwards as it would kill the flavour of anything else.
Not to my liking personally.

Funnily enough i made a beer that morning and had a sample from the hyrometer tube. It tasted green (from the hops in suspension) and malty. It was almost the same as that.

Malty Flavour???

That sounds surprising as I also saw the Landline doc and they made the point that this barley was specifically designed as a competetive export for the asian market where tastless dry beers are immensly popular.

They also made the point that it wouldn' be a winner in Australia because of its lack of flavour!
Though many would probably debate that statement

BB

Malty Flavour???

That sounds surprising as I also saw the Landline doc and they made the point that this barley was specifically designed as a competetive export for the asian market where tastless dry beers are immensly popular.

They also made the point that it wouldn' be a winner in Australia because of its lack of flavour!
Though many would probably debate that statement

BB

once again, i think that u are mistaking the barley and the limited edition beer called flagship that i am referring to that i didnt think tasted the best.

PS. now look who is getting dramatic!
:huh:

Quite - but I think you are also mis-interpreting what I was meaning as well Jeremy, and missing the point a little. It was developed to taste different. Specifically, dryer or crisper, as you mention, to suit the asian market.
If you watched the doco, you may have come to the same conclusion that I did, being that it was all focused on chasing the asian drinking dollar - especially given that they expected that this malt would allow them to produce beers that they hoped would give them leading market share, in a drinking market that is expanding in at an exponential rate. I believe that has more to do with motivating the millions of dollars into malt development, than the 10% or so increase in yield that they achieved (although the increased yield is a good thing from many perspectives.)
But overall I was more commenting on the overall thrust and tone of the doco, and wasn't actually referring to the beer in the first place at all.... :) which is what this thread was about, so I got it wrong anyway! :blink: bugger!

My fault, I must admit that I didn't read the link and just assumed that it was about the flagship barley.....whoops (now feeling suitably silly, slinks off back to the workshop....) No more bloody landline for me.....Sorry Yeasty, think I sidetracked the thread a little......

i think it's like galaxy
good with adjuncts, which is what all of the asian beers i've tasted consist of.
can still make a beer that isn't dry with galaxy

...had sweet f'all to do with improving the beer itself...
Such a shame. All that effort to find out that a 20 dollar bill tastes the same as it always did...

Yeah, OK I didnt watch the doco.

I just object to the statement above, and its inferences. I guess the delevlopment of this barley variety did have very little to do with "improving" what we might think is a good beer. "All that effort" was put into developing a variety which would capture a market which likes higher DP malts, for dry beers. Its merely a much better substitute for lower quality, lower DP malts that we have been able to produce in the past, and is consequently a more competitive product against Canadian varieties to Asian markets.

It wasn't developed for you or I, but that certainly doesnt make it a waste of effort (which you appear to be suggesting). As you said, they developed a new product for a large and expanding market.

And a 10% increase in yield is not a negligible improvement, 10% is fantastic.

Anyway, I have also tried the limited release beer. Nothing too notable about it. I would love to test it again, against a regular Coopers Lager from a can, as I think there would be very little difference between the two, and they would make for good comparison. I wouldnt say that it tasted bad necessarily, it just didn't have anything distinctive.

Jeremy.

"All that effort" was put into developing a variety which would capture a market which likes higher DP malts, for dry beers.
It wasn't developed for you or I

Jeremy.

The simple point I was trying to make, I wasn't trying to start an argument, nor am I that fussed really.

And I don't believe I said 10% increase in yield was negligible, I am well aware that it's pretty good, and did comment to that effect. But I'm a brewer, not a farmer, and yield increases won't be passed on to us with lower prices, so I'm more interested in the properties of the malt, not how they've managed to manipulate a plant to increase their profit margins. Lets just leave it at that. :)

Latest posts

Back