Fitting Xr10c Probe To Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderleg

Reaction score
How have you done it? Got any pics? Mine turned up in the mail the other day and I have been wondering how to get the probe into the HLT.

My HLT is made ~0.8mm stainless. I've had a bit of a search but could not find anything specific.

I thought about making a permanent connection for the probe. esentially a peice of copper tubing crimped at the end and soldered keep the water out. Drill a hole in the HLT and use the appropriate fittings to install the copper 'probe' in the side of the tank.

Then the temperature sensor could be inserted into the 'probe' while remaining dry.

As it turns out the sensor can handle the liquid immersion, so I haven't bothered.

Agro.

A thermo well! Great idea. I have some brass tubing lying around here somewhere.

Another thought was that without some form of thermal conductance there would be a difference between the actual water temperature and the temp measured at the probe. I wouldn't imagine the difference wouldn't be significant, but it would be there.

I think the controller has an adjustment to compensate for these problems - no gaurentees about how well it will work.

I know you can buy probes that work this way, basically a sheath you install in the side of the boiler and the probe screws into the sheath.

Good luck
Agro.

Personally I just hang the probe over the side of the HLT into the water.... no worries in probably three years of running it that way.

dreamboat

Latest posts

Back