First World Problems Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cleaning lady is late turning up today (normally Monday but I'm going up the Coast for a few days from tomorrow) and I need some shirts put in the dryer so I'll have one dried and ironed for going to work this afternoon.

Maybe I should just fish yesterday's out of the basket and spray it with Brut original?

My cleaning lady is late turning up today (normally Monday but I'm going up the Coast for a few days from tomorrow) and I need some shirts put in the dryer so I'll have one dried and ironed for going to work this afternoon.

Maybe I should just fish yesterday's out of the basket and spray it with Brut original?
What.....your going to fish yesterday's cleaning lady out of the basket and spray with Brut?

Yup she's still fresh enough, however the one from last week is already in the barrel in that bank vault I've rented.

Fcucking resort is going to actually charge me to use their WiFi, and I can't go to Maccas and use theirs because they don't have anything cooked with rice bran oil that I require for my cholesterol lowering. Might cruise around and find someone's unsecured WiFi.

Hey bum would know this: does a smart phone (or oversized wannabe bogus smart phone like my device) have an IP address?

Fcucking resort is going to actually charge me to use their WiFi, and I can't go to Maccas and use theirs because they don't have anything cooked with rice bran oil that I require for my cholesterol lowering. Might cruise around and find someone's unsecured WiFi.

Hey bum would know this: does a smart phone (or oversized wannabe bogus smart phone like my device) have an IP address?

You can always go and sit at maccas but not order anything.

Yep, your phone will have an IP address.

Your phone may have many IP addresses, although only one at any one point in time.

When you connect to a new Wifi location, such as the previously mentioned non-rice-bran-oil-using Macca's, you "lease" a temporary, internal, IP address from the Wifi router.

All Wifi points connected to the router will have the same external IP address according to the internet, the router is smart enough to route messages to the correct smartphone/laptop/internet-enabled-whatnot based on the outgoing request. This is know as Network Address Translation (NAT).

Here endeth todays lesson.

Thanks. So if I did a bank job and went to Maccas for a coffee (assuming they use Permeate-free milk) and set up a new hotmail account, then use this to email (from my smartphone) to my accomplice who is sitting on a wifi enabled train, would the police be able to retrieve this transaction?

Thanks. So if I did a bank job and went to Maccas for a coffee (assuming they use Permeate-free milk) and set up a new hotmail account, then use this to email (from my smartphone) to my accomplice who is sitting on a wifi enabled train, would the police be able to retrieve this transaction?
Who is this?

I don't know anybody by the name of Bribie G.

Not guilty, your Honour.

Your phone may have many IP addresses, although only one at any one point in time.

When you connect to a new Wifi location, such as the previously mentioned non-rice-bran-oil-using Macca's, you "lease" a temporary, internal, IP address from the Wifi router.

All Wifi points connected to the router will have the same external IP address according to the internet, the router is smart enough to route messages to the correct smartphone/laptop/internet-enabled-whatnot based on the outgoing request. This is know as Network Address Translation (NAT).

Here endeth todays lesson.
It will have a unique identifying address (MAC) which is what I suspect he is asking about. I know I'm not telling you anything new but it may help discourage Bribie from knocking over his local Spotlight with his phone. :blink:

Nope - because your phone doesn't "own" the IP address, it just leases it when you are connected, and there isn't any identifiable information about who is leasing it.

However - they would beable to pin point it back to the maccas and review the security camera footage.

It will have a unique identifying address (MAC) which is what I suspect he is asking about. I know I'm not telling you anything new but it may help discourage Bribie from knocking over his local Spotlight with his phone. :blink:

Not my own work, but a succinct summarisation:

whirlpool.net.au said:
They can possibly see your IP address (unlikely to see the IP address of your PC if you're using NAT on your modem*, but likely to see the IP address assigned to your modem by your ISP).

They will not be able to see your MAC address*.

IP addresses are 'layer 3' addresses, and source and destination remain the same for an end to end IP conversation**.

MAC addresses are layer 2 addresses for Ethernet, and are only relevant for the segment that they are used on.

Sending from your PC to Google, your source IP address (after NAT) will be your ISP assigned address, the destination will be Google. Your source MAC will be your PC, your destination MAC will be the MAC of your modem. Your modem will strip the source and destination MAC addresses, and replace them with the ADSL layer 2 address (VPI/VCI usually 8/35) or PPPoA, or encapsulate the Ethernet frame and send it on with the MAC address (PPPoE). The ATM endpoint will then strip the VPI/VCI addresses and replace with the layer 2 addresses for the hop to the next router, for PPPoE the Ethernet frame information will still be stripped when it reaches the ISP.

So your MAC never leaves your network*, but your IP address is visible to the destination** (So they know how to return traffic to you).

*as always, there can be exceptions. Some application might send your MAC address inside the payload of an IP packet, so it will reach the destination (Cisco phones do this to uniquely identify the phone). Some application might also include your private IP address in the payload, so your modem won't see the address in an unusual place and won't NAT the address, thus your private IP address could become visible. This is why some applications (SIP, H323, etc) require a 'fixup' feature, where the NAT device understands that the endpoint address may be elsewhere in a packet and look for that extra occurrence of the address and NAT it.

**Assuming there is not one or more instances of NAT occurring along the way.

So, no, Bribie, the Feds cannot (easily) track your smart phone if you keep hopping from Macca's to Macca's during your plans of Spotlight subversion.

Ethically, though, your nefarious activities will be spiking the cost of Swiss voile for all other homebrewers around the country

Never mind all the niceties of laundry etc.

You need two piles at the foot of your bed.

One is your "good" pile. You take stuff from that to wear.
When you're done, it goes on your "dirty"pile.
Then when your good pile runs out, your dirty pile turns onto your good pile, and you repeat the process!
Easy !

Definitely Brut is the go.

So, no, Bribie, the Feds cannot (easily) track your smart phone if you keep hopping from Macca's to Macca's during your plans of Spotlight subversion.

Ethically, though, your nefarious activities will be spiking the cost of Swiss voile for all other homebrewers around the country
You're forgetting that he is using public networks. They will roll on him before a warrant is required. Easily doable by law enforcement.

[EDIT: I'm fairly confident certain IPv6 implementations use MAC addresses as some sort of identifier too. We don't cover that in great detail because it is too hard to teach, apparently.]

[EDIT: I'm fairly confident certain IPv6 implementations use MAC addresses as some sort of identifier too. We don't cover that in great detail because it is too hard to teach, apparently.]

That, and no one uses it so why bother :rolleyes:

Bought a 1/4 chicken and chips with gravy today.
Paid the extra 40c to ge tthe wing/breast section
Get back to work...
Open it up...

What do I see?

THE FREAKING LEG!

Not happy!

Bought a 1/4 chicken and chips with gravy today.
Paid the extra 40c to ge tthe wing/breast section
Get back to work...
Open it up...

What do I see?

THE FREAKING LEG!

Not happy!

Simple solution is to man up and buy the half chicken. That way you get both.

Latest posts

Back