First Use Of My Conical

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what do one of those set you back??? I'm seriously considering one but would prefer something in the range of 100ltr.

Re: The rotating racking port

When I bought my conical, it came with the rotating port - at first I thought it would be a silly feature - how wrong could I be?! First use testing the SG of the fermenting wort - had a cloudy sample - rotated the racking arm, clear. Awesome stuff!

The racking port here is just a screw thread into a socket with an oring seal - simple as, I wouldn't have thought it wouldn't leak, but its perfect.

Will take photos when I break it all down for the clean after the next brew - I'm repitching the same yeast again for the second brew, so will only do a rinse and soak with idophor clean, not a full strip down.

M

no, no, strip it down and then take the photos :wub:

Mobrien,

Gee that looks a compact 52 litre SS Conical

when you take a sample of the Sg where do you take it from is that from the middle ball valve .?

Do you drain the beer from the same ball valve when it is finished .

Pumpy :unsure:

Hi Pumpy,

Yeah - its a really nice and compact unit - it fitted in the fridge (easily) and it fitted as checked baggage, which is why I went the Blickmann model.

Middle ball valve is for draining the beer and taking the SG. It rotates so the bent arm inside can be moved up and down so you are close but not on the yeast layer.

Bottom ball valve is for draining off the yeast.

Haven't kegged from it yet, but in theory it is pressure rated - so the plan is to filter the beer on the way from the conical to the keg, pushing the beer thorugh with CO2. However, I'm doing a couple of belgians first which I won't be filtering!

No doubt I will post photos here as I use it some more. Will get some of the inside too when its empty.

M

E06094A3_AB93_11D4_98BD00508BA5461F.jpg

:p

Will only need to brew monthly now

:chug:

What???? you dont think i take this seriously?

Look at the size of mine

Do you know how long it took to get council approval :p

I love the thought......thats why i was cruising the net for them and found that,

couldnt resist

cheers

Just an update on the conicals use - kegged the first beer yesterday - what an easy process! It was a Belgian, so no filtering this time, have a couple of batches to do before the filter gets set up.

Brewed a new batch yesterday as well - a Belgian dubbel. SG was 1075. I used the yeast I drew off from the first batch - drained off all the settled liquid then shook it up with about a litre of the wort of the batch. 30 seconds and it had a foam head! 15 minutes later, oxgenated the wort with the O2 tank (60 secs) and then pitched the yeast slurry. First bubbles out the top in 2 minutes, crazy bubbles after 30.

I'm always going reuses yeast now - do a lower gravity then a higher gravity batch - easy!

I love the conical!

M

I said I'd post some photos of inside when I pulled it apart for cleaning so here they are!

The rotating rack port - it has an oring against the inside wall of the fermenter so the seal holds while it rotates:
conical_breakdown0001.jpg

The inside bottom
conical_breakdown0002.jpg

The outside of both parts
conical_breakdown0003.jpg

I love this thing!

M

I said I'd post some photos of inside when I pulled it apart for cleaning so here they are!

The rotating rack port - it has an oring against the inside wall of the fermenter so the seal holds while it rotates:
View attachment 15269

The inside bottom
View attachment 15270

The outside of both parts
View attachment 15271

I love this thing!

M

Mobrien we love it too , I can imagine you hugging it prior to going to work each day .

Have you tried filtering from the conical into the kegs yet ?

Pumpy :)

Mobrien we love it too , I can imagine you hugging it prior to going to work each day .

Have you tried filtering from the conical into the kegs yet ?

Pumpy :)

What do you mean hugging it before work.... what about after work too ;)

No filtering yet - the first two brews have been belgians, and I want them cloudy the way they are supposed to be.

However, I have just put down a mid strength amber, and plan to filter that in a couple of weeks - stay posted!

M

That looks awesome, Matt.

It wasn't together when I saw it. Mmmm shiny....

When you having an open brewday Mobrien? Dying to have a close look at that baby B)

Cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back