First timer, Mangrove Jack’s starter kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a Mangrove Jack’s starter kit without understanding that this cold Melbourne winter would require temperature control. I have now ordered a Mangrove Jack’s heat belt and an Inkbird 308T, just to warm, not to cool. The instructions say: “Set up your fermenter in a location where your beer can ferment between 25-40 degrees.” The Kveik yeast sachet says, “suitable to ferment at 20-40 degrees but for optimal results ferment at 30-40 degrees”. I live in a flat with ambient temperatures around 11-15 degrees lately.

The kit comes with a tin called “Gold Lager”. If Kveik yeast likes heat, but lager brews at cold temps, why is this the basic setup? I would be thankful for any advice on how to get something good out of this gear. I’m curious as to what happens when people do these kits without temperature control. Would the beer even ferment at my low ambient temperatures of 10-15 degrees?

Hello William

I would try putting the heatbelt on and tape the inkbird temp probe to the fermenter then either wrap it in a duvet or sleeping bag as that should help keep the temperature a bit more consistent

Beer brewed at those temperatures is an ale. The can is called "Gold Lager" because it has low bitterness and the gold colour you would expect from a mass produced lager beer, that's all.
You haven't said what variety of kveik you are using, I'm guessing you stuck with Mangrove Jack and are using M12 which is Voss. Voss can produce orange fruit flavours, so be ready for that.
If you want to brew it as a clean crisp lager, buy a lager strain and set your Inkbird to 14C (although there are now strains that will be clean to 20C+).
It will take a lot longer than Voss, which might be done in just a few days especially if you ferment it at 30C+.

Latest posts

Back