First timer looking for help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stattonb

Reaction score
hi all so i brought a kit the other day (bigalow lager 25l kit) and i did a fair bit of research online before hand as ive been told the instructions that come with it are crap and after reading them i understand why,just have afew questions.

1/ what's the best temp to keep the fermenter at ?

2/ How long should i keep it bottled for

3/ Ive read that its good to put sugar into each bottle when bottling..is this true

thanks guys

1. Depends on what the yeast is, all yeasts have different ideal temperatures.

2. Minimum 2 weeks then have a taste.

3. It is called "priming". This allows secondary fermentation which leads to carbonation - ie bubbles.

thanks for the help
ive made up the mix and have it stored and its bubbling,its been at 25c for 2 days as the instructions said that is the ideal temp.

25c is high as you've learned, for your next brew try a different yeast from the one that comes with the kit, most Ale yeast are happy between 16 and 19c with a ramp at the end of fermentation to around 22/23c for a day.(this is call a "d" rest). Then chill down in a fridge before bottling, this will help drop out the yeast, bottle as normal.

All brewers walk the same path of improvements, better yeast, better temperature control(fermentation), adding hops and bits, steeping grain, and all grain.

Welcome to the slippery slope! :D

MB

thanks for the tips :) im half way thru the fermutation so far,its been sittin on 18c on bubbling away!!!! will take a trip to the home brew shop this week and checkout what goodies i can try out for my 2nd brew :)

My advice as another new-comer is to be patient (thats the hardest thing)!

Once its in the tub, the beer will mostly take care of itself and you need to resist the urge to play with it. Just make sure the temperature range is OK - from my understanding around 18C is perfect and higher temps can throw off flavours

As for goodies, buying them is the second best part of the hobby (after drinking your beer of course!). Some essentials you should have are:
  • hydrometer
  • bench capper
  • if where you are brewing is cold, a heater pad
  • bottles (the best part is, you can buy these with beer already in them :D) - coopers longnecks are great
Some things you can consider for future brews:
  • Stock pot for steeping grains, hops etc.
  • Candy thermometer for steeping
  • Brew bag for hops and grain
  • A second fermenter (I would opt for another 30L tub rather than a demijohn as its more multi purpose in my opinion)
If your first brew was a lager, maybe try a pale ale for your second with some additions - lots of good recipes on here :D

Hey mate, welcome!!

You need to add some sugar to each bottle to properly carbonate your beer. It's probably a good idea to use carbonation drops for your first batch or two. They are a bit pricey but will help take the guess work / one extra step for now.

Definitely buy a second fermenter (30L is a great call) and investigate bulk priming.

If you don't have a fridge set up to ferment in, probably best to stick to ales (well ale style yeasts).

Remember to be super vigilant about cleaning and sanitising.

Happy brewin' mate!

Cheers!!

thanks for all the help guys i have it setup in a small food cupboard under my steps and the temps are good,just did a reading to day and its 3/4 done so added the clearing stuff today. so seems like everything is going good so far :)
im sure i will have other questions down the road atm enjoying the hobby so far lol

TheBlackAdder said:
My advice as another new-comer is to be patient (thats the hardest thing)!
Sage advice.
Second thing is to keep it simple to start with. Stable temps, patience, and cleanliness/sanitisation are the most important things at this stage, and to be honest always are. And make sure your fermentation is finished before bottling.

shacked said:
Definitely buy a second fermenter (30L is a great call) and investigate bulk priming.
Bulk priming is going to give your more consistent results, and is easier to do.

get yourself some napisan or DI-san (aldi brand) for cleaning.
and get a good no rinse sanitiser like star san.

DON'T bloody touch that fermenter for two weeks apart from a hydrometer reading every so often (dont do it every day)

Let the beer age appropriate times for it's style, if you drink it all before it's had a chance to be at it's best, then you will forever be drinking sub standard beer, and it will take you longer to get to that "here try my home brew(cause I'm proud of it) " stage.

Don't worry too much about all the conflicting information on the forums, once you settle into the saddle you will be able to smell the horse shit from the cherry pie.

thanks guys for the advise will check out bulk priming down the track for sure,ive left the fermenter alone the whole time apart from taking a reading and adding the clearing stuff into it :)
will let yas know how it turns out.

gonna bottle on tuesday had a taste of it as it said to before bottling and it had a very watery taste is this normal ???

It's a good idea to taste it before bottling, but it may (more often than not) taste very different after some time in the bottle.

cools yea it smelt like beer but tasted like watery cordial so wasnt sure if i stuffed up in some way, just thought id ask as it is my first attempt

stattonb said:
cools yea it smelt like beer but tasted like watery cordial so wasnt sure if i stuffed up in some way, just thought id ask as it is my first attempt
Sounds like a Brigalow kit.

Pop into your friendly neighbourhood Home Brew Shop. They tend to give better advice than the checkout chicks.

Here's a suggestion:

Given you like lagers, try doing a light bodied Ale since you're currently without temperature control.

Mangrove Jacks Tradition Series Blonde Lager ( green pouch )
500g light dry malt extract
500g dextrose
Safale US-05 Yeast
Grab 50g of Nelson Sauvin hops - steep 25g of it in 350ml of boiling water for 10 minutes and mix it loose in the fermenter when you add the rest of the goop dex and malt.
pitch the yeast.
On Day 8, lift the lid, pop in the other 25g of the hops loose. Seal it up and wait 4 days. Do your hydro checks and bottle as normal. Age for 5 weeks before trying it.

Welcome to AHB and the best little brewhouse around.

Martin

had another taste last night and taste like beer now :) have bottled now time to wait,thanks for that "HBHB" will give it a shot on tuesday for my next brew

Brigalow brews are very consistent but lack flavour. You can't really go wrong with Mangrove Jacks or Coopers. Also get a decent yeast, those Brigalow yeasts are really dodgy. Sounds like your brew is drinkable however. The advantage of the Brigalow kit is that you end up with a good basic set of hardware.

When I lived on Bribie Island I used to brew ales without temperature control from May to end of September so you have a few months of grace before you need to look at a fermenting fridge / chamber.

Now be patient and wait a couple of weeks to open a bottle. Start your next brew now, as once you open your first bottle they won't last long. Good on ya for your first and heed the advice above.
Cheers

Back