first time home brewing - forgot to add hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytoons

Reaction score
Hey first time home brewing and im 100% sure i've mucked it up.

I bought a kit online and it came with pride of ringwood hops in the pellet forms. I forgot to add them to the boil when i started on sunday (2 days ago). A friend said that i should boil them and then add them into the fermenter (which i did). Will it infect the batch? Should i throw it away and start again?

Sorry if a similar question has been asked before.

Thanks

let it ride mate.. we all make mistakes.. never throw out until you are sure it tastes like arse (and not a nice one) and cannot be salvaged.

Patience.

Yob said:
never throw out until you are sure it tastes like arse (and not a nice one) and cannot be salvaged.
BEST.ADVICE.EVER

Go and get some hop extract from your LHBS and add it to taste to the finished beer. Might still taste like ass, but at least it will be bitter ass. You never know, might work ok.

Jaytoons, what was the kit? Was it pre-hopped extract? If so, you'll be fine with what you've already got. The "extra" hops would have/will add a bit of hop flavour & aroma.

If it was pre-hopped extract (ie. bitterness), then all the hard work is done & by adding your boiled-up hops (like you did) is just gonna make it better.

Like Yob said - Let it ride!

Welcome to the vortex................! :)))))

If you have boiled the hops and added to the fermenter you have significantly reduced the possibility of infection from the hops (even though hops do have anti-bacterial compounds)

Let it ride out and if it turns to shit let your mates come round and sample your creation - when you brew one of your best then they will be reminded of that very first time and refuse your offers, leaving you with more beer to enjoy.

At least it works for me!

jaypes said:
If you have boiled the hops and added to the fermenter you have significantly reduced the possibility of infection from the hops (even though hops do have anti-bacterial compounds)

Let it ride out and if it turns to shit let your mates come round and sample your creation - when you brew one of your best then they will be reminded of that very first time and refuse your offers, leaving you with more beer to enjoy.

At least it works for me!
You scheming *******!! :D

1) Google with search terms like 'french press hops'. Try it with Google "Images" too...
eg. tasting 'parties' are held where a variety of hops are added to beer

2) "Can You Handle My Randall Recap"
http://craftbeermonger.com/tag/the-pine-box/
eg. infusing beer with not only only hops

Cheers

Latest posts

Back