First time bulk priming any tips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stattonb

Reaction score
hey guys i just finished a brew and im gonna try bulk priming for the first time and im just after some tips,ive used the video below and im wondering if this is correct,i have a 23Litre brew.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_We91VuYH0M

thanks will check it out mate,ive read up on here but i think my main problem is using the online calculator so i know how much sugar (im using plain sugar) my brew is a Mexican Cervaza (Coopers) Desired volume of CO2 and in the drop down menu Volumes of CO2 by Beer Style im not sure what to put

I am not able to help with that I'm afraid. I do mine based on experience. e.g. 6.667g/L for a medium-low carbd ale; 7 g/L for a medium carbd ale; 7.5 g/L for a lager. My guess is your Cerveza will be around the 7.5 g/L mark.

Mate there is a bulk prime clac somewhere on here. Fairly sure its the first google hit. I think I add about 110g for 20L or something like that. The whole process if fairly straight forward mate. Just give the beer a gentle stir as well.

Don't forget to substract the estimated trub/yeast cake volume from your total volume before making the calculation

I bulk prime all my brews and end up normally measuring about 160g into a litre of boiling water, mixing until dissolved. Bang that into my beer as it's transferring to the my secondary fermenter (that's what I bottle in).
I try to add the sugar as half the amount has transferred and stir gently with a sanitised spoon. Volumes put in say 2.6-2.8 for your pArticular style, the more volumes the more carbonation you'll get! Hope this helps!

very much appreciated guys will take all the info and give it a try tonight, as a side note i have my brew in the fridge for 3 days now as i ready it helps make the yeast cake solid when you bulk prime

I only ever bulk prime into another vessel which I keep especially for bottling as I would find it virtually impossible to get the priming sugar mixed in without stirring up the sediment.
I have had no issue with bulk priming a few days before bottling and keeping the temps below anything the yeast would be active.

This is some info from the calculator i use,

Carbonation Guidelines by Style

British Style Ales

1.5 - 2.0 volumes

Belgian Ales

1.9 - 2.4 volumes

American Ales and Lager

2.2 - 2.7 volumes

Fruit Lambic

3.0 - 4.5 volumes

Porter, Stout

1.7 - 2.3 volumes

European Lagers

2.2 - 2.7 volumes

Lambic

2.4 - 2.8 volumes

German Wheat Beer

3.3 - 4.5 volumes

Dont be too disappointed if you do get some sediment in the bottles after conditioning. It happens as you make a mini trub when the yeast eats the suspended sugar to carbonate the beer in your bottle.
I find the best benefit of bulk priming is because I use different size bottle - 330 ml, 375ml, 500ml, 700ml & 750ml. Bulk priming will allows for consistency over all these bottles.

If I didn't have to do this - I don't think I would bulk prime as the dangers of introducing a new container, air and an extra process will not get you sediment free beer.
You can get the same results by tilting your fermenter away from your tap for the last week of fermentation and put aside the first 2 and last 2 beers as sediment 'contaminated'.
Personally - I don't care about sediment - pour your beer correctly into a glass and its as clear as the space between Tony Abbotts ears.

there is some sediment but very small amount after sitting overnight,i use 600ml coke bottles as backups so i thought id give it a try,i still got alot to learn but am happy with what im brewing after 4 - 5 batches :)

Are err maybe err a bit are er unkind to err Tony. He's either punch

Bara said:
Dont be too disappointed if you do get some sediment in the bottles after conditioning. It happens as you make a mini trub when the yeast eats the suspended sugar to carbonate the beer in your bottle.
I find the best benefit of bulk priming is because I use different size bottle - 330 ml, 375ml, 500ml, 700ml & 750ml. Bulk priming will allows for consistency over all these bottles.

If I didn't have to do this - I don't think I would bulk prime as the dangers of introducing a new container, air and an extra process will not get you sediment free beer.
You can get the same results by tilting your fermenter away from your tap for the last week of fermentation and put aside the first 2 and last 2 beers as sediment 'contaminated'.
Personally - I don't care about sediment - pour your beer correctly into a glass and its as clear as the space between Tony Abbotts ears.
Are er are a bit unkind err a to Tony. Do you think he's punch drunk or maybe Reagan's ******* son. Sorry off topic.

Latest posts

Back