First Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Bandit

Reaction score
hey all, Im going to attempt to do my very first All-grain stout next weekend (For my old man). I'm looking for a common stout with hints of coffee and choc through it purely from grain.

I picked up this recipe for a 23L Batch.
4.5kg Traditional pale malt
1kg Munich Malt
350g Chocolate Malt
250g Crystal Malt 80L
200g Roasted Barley

15g Northern Brewer[9.3%] @ 60 mins
3x15g EK Goldings [6.6%] @ 30, 15 and 0 mins

1pkt SafAle - English Ale

15L Mash in(60 mins) @ 72C + 15L sparge water @ 72C

I got approx 60% Brew-house Efficiency

Would this be the way to go for a first All-grain stout?
Tell me what you think

Cheers

It looks nice...

Your efficiency may be a bit low if you are using someone else's recipe, you may want to up the grain bill by 5-10% so you get the desired SG...

I would look at doubling (or more) the RB.

mash temp is too high. You'd want between 63 - 68 depending on desired fermentability. I think 65/66/67 would work well for this recipe.

mash temp is too high. You'd want between 63 - 68 depending on desired fermentability. I think 65/66/67 would work well for this recipe.
As long you are adding 72 degree water hoping to get in the high 60's then it should be fine. Really depends on your system though. Better off specifying your actual mashing temp.

For future reference - you'll get a lot more help if you post your grain bill in percentage terms rather than in kilograms/grams - as people's standard batch size and efficiency is very different (meaning weight of grain changes - but percentage of grain doesn't). Also EBU's with the hop additions - what bitterness are you aiming for.

Good luck with it - I'm also looking at making my first stout very soon! :icon_cheers:

With the Munich and Crystal you'll probably find you have a bit of sweetness and caramel maltiness about, which may tip your beer towards the Porter end of the spectrum. As Felten mentioned, you should consider doubling your roast barley content to give it a real coffee-like kick and provide some drying, acrid mouthfeel that tends to seperate stouts from porters.

By doubling the Roasted barley. It should look like this in percentage

Pale Malt 69.2%
Munich Malt 15.4%
Roasted Barley 6.2%
Chocolate Malt 5.4%
Crystal Malt 3.8%

For the mash temp wouldn't the water lose the temperature when it mixes with room temp grain? BTW I use the soaking eski method.

I'm also aiming for an IBU of around 25-30, I'm not going to be too specific, but I don't really want an overwhelming hoppiness

Unles the OP is going to have his strike water at 72 , in which case , when he dough's in , his temp will drop to about 65..which IMHO , is good for a stout...
To the OP..i'd probably drop the EKG that you have @ 30 , 15 and 0..
A dry stout should have "low hop aroma to none" This is from the BJCP style guidlines...
IMHO ,I'd go the 15 EKG at 60 and be done with...assuming your making 20 litres...hell i'd up it to 20g ...but certainly no other hop additions other than your 60 min...
MMMMM Stout !!!
BTW..If your in Victoria ...you could enter a bottle into Westgate's Stout Extravaganza !
Details here
Westgate's stout comp info ~
Cheers
Ferg

By doubling the Roasted barley. It should look like this in percentage

Pale Malt 69.2%
Munich Malt 15.4%
Roasted Barley 6.2%
Chocolate Malt 5.4%
Crystal Malt 3.8%

For the mash temp wouldn't the water lose the temperature when it mixes with room temp grain? BTW I use the soaking eski method.

I'm also aiming for an IBU of around 25-30, I'm not going to be too specific, but I don't really want an overwhelming hoppiness

Yep, the water temp goes down with mixed with grain. We state the actual mash temp coz that gives people an idea of mouthfeel / sweetness etc.
I heard you should have an IBU equiv to your SG for a good stout.
e.g 1.040 = 40IBU

I wouldn't use the Munich in a Stout, as I think its malt quality will be lost amongst the rest of the ingredients. I'd also lose the Crystal malt, you don't need it for a Stout.

Instead, Substitute Flaked Barley for the Munich to give you the mouthfeel and body you need in this type of brew.

What IBU are you aiming at? A simple 60 minute addition is all you need. It's not a hop flavour/aroma type of beer. Save your EKG for something more suitable. Use your Northern Brewer, or something else such as Target, for a single addition at 60 minutes.

I must say I respectfully disagree.

I mash stouts high - usually over 70, because I love a good velvety thick stout, not a thin bodied one. It's the closest you get to nitrogen stout.

But that's a personal preference, I'm just putting it out there, depending on what OP's preference is regarding Stout body.

Goomba

I wouldn't use the Munich in a Stout, as I think its malt quality will be lost amongst the rest of the ingredients. I'd also lose the Crystal malt, you don't need it for a Stout.

Instead, Substitute Flaked Barley for the Munich to give you the mouthfeel and body you need in this type of brew.

What IBU are you aiming at? A simple 60 minute addition is all you need. It's not a hop flavour/aroma type of beer. Save your EKG for something more suitable. Use your Northern Brewer, or something else such as Target, for a single addition at 60 minutes.

+1

I would add that you don't use german malts in english beers - you'd use sugar before going to a munich! I'd just bump up the base malt.

Also stouts are stout cause they have body, flaked barley works really well to get this across as does a bit of wheat malt.

Mash at a high temperature say 68-69 so you get a nice dextrinous wort and a full mouthfeel. A 60 minute hop addition is all you need and BTW don't overdo the roasted barley. Less is more atmo.

cheers

grant

Good point on dropping the Munich malt and chuck in some Flaked Barley, 1kg would do fine. But i dont really know where to find it, i use my local home-brewer store: http://www.asquithhomebrewing.com.au

would you guys recommended 20g northern brewer and 20g EKG both @ 60mins

I know the mash temp should be around 65-68C, quick question (this is my 2nd all-grain brew) what temp should the 15L water be when it is mixed into the grain bill to achieve the ideal temperature of say 67, using the soak in eski method?

Cheers

I've got a batch of stout in my ferment fridge at the moment & another one in my cold fridge. I'm posting on my phone so don't have beersmith in front of me but off the top of my head:

60% bb ale
20% munich II
5% roast barley
5% pale choc
5% pale crystal
5% abbey malt

Mashed @ 65

1.060 (ish)
60 IBU (ish) with a 60 min addition of fuggles
Wyeast 1028

My original batch had 80% bb ale & no munich & had EKG instead of fuggles. Unfortunately for some reason there's none of the original batch left for a side by side test but I'm pretty sure the munich will be a good addition.

I'd also like to publicly brag that my 1st stout was my 1st beer that someone enjoyed enough that they grabbed the recipe & brewed it.

For a classic dry stout you'd want to drop the crystal, increase the bittering, and mash low so you get that dry crisp bitterness. But not all stouts have to be like that, the crystal and munich would go well in a FES, as well as the higher mash temp, if that's the kind you prefer.

Good point on dropping the Munich malt and chuck in some Flaked Barley, 1kg would do fine. But i dont really know where to find it, i use my local home-brewer store
You can find packets of rolled/flaked barley at healthfood stores, it can be pricey though IIRC

Latest posts

Back