First recipe in several years - advice?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that will be a bit bitter for those young girls. I reckon you are pretty close to the "sticks and stones" recipe in the recipe section, that is a pretty close clone of stone and wood pacific ale that the girls would probably like.

Line some brews up for her, commercial and your own brews, see if there's one she likes more/less.

Galaxy at 60min- nooooooo.

Looks a good recipe mate but my rule of thumb is never use galaxy before the last 10 minutes. It is astringent as **** at 60 min.

Chuck that 12g in at 5 minutes. Also your 0 minute additions WILL add IBUS. Move that 60 minute additoin to 5 min and you will have a winner.

Mash temp looks a bit high? Also the fg looks high as well at 1017? Do you really want to be serving up 6% beers, unless of course you want the party over a little earlier.

Cheers

damoninja said:
Line some brews up for her, commercial and your own brews, see if there's one she likes more/less.
My daughter has a pretty good palate where beer is concerned but I am mindful of the other party goers. Just looking for an easy drinking, smooth mouth feel, fruity ending and balanced bittering.

Coodgee said:
I think that will be a bit bitter for those young girls. I reckon you are pretty close to the "sticks and stones" recipe in the recipe section, that is a pretty close clone of stone and wood pacific ale that the girls would probably like.
28ibu's too much you reckon? Just worried about balance?

Droopy Brew said:
Galaxy at 60min- nooooooo.

Looks a good recipe mate but my rule of thumb is never use galaxy before the last 10 minutes. It is astringent as **** at 60 min.

Chuck that 12g in at 5 minutes. Also your 0 minute additions WILL add IBUS. Move that 60 minute additoin to 5 min and you will have a winner.
Never used galaxy (yep that's how long I have been out of the game)so galaxy at five minutes and none at flame out? Get most of the bitterness with PoR? or top up bitterness with combo of pride and Willamette?

bradsbrew said:
Mash temp looks a bit high? Also the fg looks high as well at 1017? Do you really want to be serving up 6% beers, unless of course you want the party over a little earlier.

Cheers
I like to mash a little high for body. 1017 - counting on my efficiency not being so good so bring it in at around 5.2 - but good point will have a look at that and maybe go for a4.8% finish.

^^well the o minute additions might add another 5-10 IBU depending on how quickly you cool it down. so you might end up close to 35IBU. that's fairly bitter depending on what your fermentation profile is like. If I was making a beer for 20 year old girls I'd be going for 15 IBU.

actually the beer that I find 20-something girls like best whenever I have had a party is a belgian wit at 10-12 IBU.

28 ibu will be fine. Just do it and have some other stuff on hand as well.

Higher fg will balance the high 20s ibu.

Another vote for Sticks and Stones as likely being popular with the intended audience.

Mercs Own said:
Never used galaxy (yep that's how long I have been out of the game)so galaxy at five minutes and none at flame out? Get most of the bitterness with PoR? or top up bitterness with combo of pride and Willamette?

I like to mash a little high for body. 1017 - counting on my efficiency not being so good so bring it in at around 5.2 - but good point will have a look at that and maybe go for a4.8% finish.
Keep your flame out addition and bring your 60 minute addition back to 5 minutes. I wouldnt top up the bitterness at 60min but. As mentioned you will pick up some IBUs with the flame out addition (maybe 5) and probably the same amount again with the new 5 minute addition. Also you mention you dont expect your efficiency to be as high as 80%. If your OG is lower your IBUs will be higher for a given amount of hops.

25.00 g Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min
20.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min

I should give this combo a go some day...

Mercs Own said:
Never used galaxy (yep that's how long I have been out of the game)

Welcome back.... I sincerely hope the bug bites you again :p

Matplat said:
Welcome back.... I sincerely hope the bug bites you again :p
Cheers! I have brewed a couple of commercial size beers one for my beer café and one last year a collaboration with BentSpoke - an old English ale with 7 herbal aphrodisiacs in it. Good fun!

Bumpity, bump.

Well, well, our own @Mercs Own, otherwise known as Paul Mercurio who last posted here in 2017 (and whose food and beer wisdom is missed) has been busy of late.

The TV chef, author, and star of Strictly Ballroom, Dancing With The Stars and the original Coopers how-to-brew VHS video tape (rated PG - because there's no roaming hands in it like in his dance shows) is going to try for preselection for a seat in the Victorian Parliament.

Been wondering what you've been up to, Merc. Good luck with it. Be good to have a poli who is not a friggin lawyer.

Here's a tip. Go to the polls with a pledge to enforce pubs to provide $2 pots between 6pm-8pm weekdays and all day Sunday; and make all primary schools start teaching home-brewing to kids (they're teaching them a lot weirder shit nowadays).

Onya, Merc.

Last edited:
I can only vote across the water (Hint: if you thought the 2020 US election and aftermath was a show, wait until this coming November.).

But yes, empower home brewers.

There are Australian pollies who should ditch whatever mind-altering drugs they're on and go back to beer. Hint: one runs full page ads claiming he'll be PM. Another goes on the show of a US conspiracy theorist who had admitted in court that he makes up all his news.;

Latest posts

Back