First post, need help ! :)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I was a noob, somebody asked me what the beer smelled like, I went right out and stuck my nose in the fermeter and took a big huff... Im sure thats not what they meant and its an experience I'll never forget

:)

*ed: I didnt expect you to have a taste.. though I have done... once... ;)

Fuggles and East Kent Goldings in English beers
Galaxy and Ella in Aussie APA
Saaz and Hallertau MF in Lagers

Strokes / folks / big wide world of beers

Looks like cold break settling to me. Yeast will gobble it up and what it doesn't will drop back out with the other suspended solids at the end if you give it the chance (particularly if you have temp control and can chill it after ferment has completed). No need to worry.

Taylorhomebrew said:
First batch was amarillo hop and nelson Sauvin, this batch is galaxy and nelson sauvin. What are some other good combos??
Amarillo was my first hop. Bloody beautiful!

Taylorhomebrew said:
Hey guys,

Typical first time poster looking for some help / and opinion.

I have done my second brew and as I was about to close the garage door I noticed the bottom of my keg looked a different shade to the rest.

Now I don't know if this happened to my first brew, but upon noticing it I can't decide if it's actually the density of the plastic, or a layer of something at the bottom?

Any help/opinions appreciated !!

Coagulated proteins? Did you use whirflock?

I just about always get a layer like that after a boil. I don't remember to whirlpool sometimes and I think that's why. Will need to investigate properly of course.

Mate, a huge welcome.

Cosdog

Hey guys back again with an update.

Yeast cake settled at the bottom , I still don't know what that layer was so early on. Had more aroma than my first batch (poured a touch in to a cup and had a swig and a smell before bottling).

Question for next batch, I kit brew with a minimash. Which part of the process should I add irish moss ? I'm not fussed about aesthetics of the beer or how clear it is, but want to try a few new things out.

Cheers for all the replies ! You're all a huge help.

Taylorhomebrew said:
Hey guys back again with an update.

Yeast cake settled at the bottom , I still don't know what that layer was so early on. Had more aroma than my first batch (poured a touch in to a cup and had a swig and a smell before bottling).

Question for next batch, I kit brew with a minimash. Which part of the process should I add irish moss ? I'm not fussed about aesthetics of the beer or how clear it is, but want to try a few new things out.

Cheers for all the replies ! You're all a huge help.
Hi mate, glad your brewing is developing!

One of the cool resources I found on Irish Moss et.al. is the following:
http://www.mcpicarrageenan.com/tech.html

It helped me understand why we need to add it and why adding it at 10-15 minutes matters!. Hope that helps. Keep up the Q&A Taylor!

You're adding aeroplane jelly.... :)

Cheers that cosdog!

Sitting on a brew that's been bottled for just over a week as we speak, and it's actually quite nice, I'm keen to see how this goes after a couple of months. I'm Impressed for my first brew.

Any backlash if you boil Irish moss too much or too little?

Taylorhomebrew said:
Cheers that cosdog!

Sitting on a brew that's been bottled for just over a week as we speak, and it's actually quite nice, I'm keen to see how this goes after a couple of months. I'm Impressed for my first brew.

As you should be.... Mine was a coopers kit and I was bloody stoked with it!

I've kept a few bottles of the first beer I ever made with grain. One day, just for shits and giggles, I'll chill and drink them. Just to reflect back to that day if nothing else. May not be delicious by my developed standards.... but who cares!. :) :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

Taylorhomebrew said:

Don't know... I've only dosed as directed. I imagine 1x10^6 tablets will make goo. Not using it at all still makes damn fine beer imo.

Yob said:
when I was a noob, somebody asked me what the beer smelled like, I went right out and stuck my nose in the fermeter and took a big huff... Im sure thats not what they meant and its an experience I'll never forget

:)

*ed: I didnt expect you to have a taste.. though I have done... once... ;)
Stuck my nose pretty close to the oak barrel bunghole and had a big sniff the other day. Forgot how much that CO2 burns the nostrils....................won't do that a fourth time!

bradsbrew said:
Stuck my nose pretty close to the oak barrel bunghole and had a big sniff the other day. Forgot how much that CO2 burns the nostrils....................won't do that a fourth time!
CO2 doesn't burn the nostrils, you'd better have another sniff to see what's really going on :D

Somebody better tell that to my nostrils.

I am jack's nostril. CO2 reacts with the water lining my surface, it turns into carbonic acid. I sting jack.

Latest posts

Back