First post, need help ! :)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Typical first time poster looking for some help / and opinion.

I have done my second brew and as I was about to close the garage door I noticed the bottom of my keg looked a different shade to the rest.

Now I don't know if this happened to my first brew, but upon noticing it I can't decide if it's actually the density of the plastic, or a layer of something at the bottom?

Any help/opinions appreciated !!

Welcome aboard Taylorhomebrew. Looks like a yeast cake to me mate. Perfectly natural - be worried if there isn't one.

Hey mate, that photo was taken literally 5 minutes after I added the water. Now I'm a rookie don't get me wrong by any means - but isn't that too early for a yeast cake?

Well it ain't a yeast cake then. It does help to give a bit of an explanation of the process that you followed in order for folks to help troubleshoot. If the kit was insufficiently stirred you may just have a layer of enhancer/dextrose/light dry malt that you used on the bottom. The yeast will eventually devour it.

Yes. More description needed. Sorry I saw red flags/lights when I clicked on the photo etc.

Its sediment, of some kind. More explanations of technique please.

Sorry guys, like I said..not of a newbie.

I steaped carapil and med crystal grain in 4l water/added light malt extract and stirred it in on a higher heat - didn't froth up ridiculously.

I then did ten mins galaxy hop boil and rested for 30 min with nelson Sauvin.

Put blackrock pale ale brew kit in the keg, added the water from the steap+hop process and filled up to 23 litres and sprinkled salfate 0.5 yeast.

This is the same process I did for my first batch and I don't recall this happening. It kind of looks like the plastic might just be denser on that bottom part. But it also looks like it could be a layer of something?

Appreciate the help too. Cheers lads.

Now ignoring the tits and arse :lol: it does look like a layer of sediment of some kind, perhaps from the boiling of the wort from the grain steep. Might be a small amount of cold break which shouldn't cause any issues. It definitely won't be a yeast cake that early on.

RDWHAHB (relax don't worry have a home brew)

That's pretty adventurous for 1st and second brews but go all! :beerbang:

Like I said if it is a layer of something the yeast will eat it all up. Sounds like a pretty tasty APA you got going there mate.

Yeah it's not a beginner's recipe but my cousin hooked up a recipe book after years of practise so I'm lucky enough to not have to learn from scratch...Cheers though boys! I'll let you know what happens

First batch was amarillo hop and nelson Sauvin, this batch is galaxy and nelson sauvin. What are some other good combos??

My next brew will be my 154th. I still haven't decided on the recipe yet but its going to be exciting anyway it goes.

its just yeast (and other floc'd matter) mate, as long as its doing what you expect, it's still ok and in fact completely normal part of the ferment.

What was the OG and whats the SG now?

Loads of good hop combos.
Depends on what you like to drink.

Based on what you have already brewed which says apa- citra and amarillo
Cascade and Styrian goldings
Cascade and citra
Cascade and amarillo.

Very small amounts of chinook with any of those if you want sone dank resin to balance the fruit.

For uk styles - challenger and styrians.
For belgian - saaz and styrians
For german lager - saaz and hallertauer mitt
for german ale - tettnanger and spalter
for saison - tett and hall mit or hall mit and styrian.

So many more.

Latest posts

Back