First Partial Problems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEALE

Reaction score
2.5 weeks ago I tried my first partial with 1.5kg LME, some freshly cracked malts, Oats, Coriander and Mandarin Peel - Grumpy's Recipie.

First Problem was astringincy, although its getting less noticable with age in the fermenter.

Second problem, OG was 1.045 and has only fermented to 1.019.

Thought the liquid yeast I pitched might have died off short of doing the job, so I pitched a rehydrated pack of Safwheat yeast a few days ago. No change to SG.

Did I not get full conversion in the mash. Temp was mostly around the 66 C mark for a good hour.

Astrigincy I have put down to adding too much hops for a 60 min boil, but could also be grain husks?? Cracked them fresh on my new marga, which looked to be working well.

Not sure where to go from here, I have it in the fridge controlled at 19C.

1. Astringency or bitterness?

2. Liquid extract has a high percentage of non-fermentables so not surprised at 1.019 finish. Yeast has done all it's capable of with the tucker it's been fed.

3. Pointless pitching more yeast (see 2)

4. Did you do an Iodine test? (to establish whether or not conversion was complete) 66C for 1 hour using malted barley should have been ok. What grain and what water/grain ratio did you mash it at.

5. Fridge temp is fine, what yeast did you use and was the recipe Ale or Lager.

Lets get you on the road to success DEALE, answer the above and give us something to work with.

1. Astringency or bitterness?

2. Liquid extract has a high percentage of non-fermentables so not surprised at 1.019 finish. Yeast has done all it's capable of with the tucker it's been fed.

3. Pointless pitching more yeast (see 2)

4. Did you do an Iodine test? (to establish whether or not conversion was complete) 66C for 1 hour using malted barley should have been ok. What grain and what water/grain ratio did you mash it at.

5. Fridge temp is fine, what yeast did you use and was the recipe Ale or Lager.

Lets get you on the road to success DEALE, answer the above and give us something to work with.

I've never tasted anything like that - I wouldn't have said it is bitter - it's a real sharp taste.

No iodine test completed. 3 L/kg with 1.5kg pilsener malt, 1kg unmalted wheat 0.2kg Rolled Oats

Recipie is Ale, used Welgian Witbier yeast 3944.

Apreciate your assistance.

Unless it is an off sharp taste it is kind of what you would expect from a beer with raw wheat.

A wit should have a sharp tang to it.

Doesn't look like an efficiency problem with those numbers.

I am a little surprised at the FG but lots of factors can lead to this.

I'd try warming it up for a day or two prior to bottling.

THe mandarin peel, if there was too much pith, could combine to contribute perhaps?

I would say bottle/keg and let it sit for a few weeks.

The sharp tang in my recent wit faded after a few...

That being said it could of course be an infection...

Unless it is an off sharp taste it is kind of what you would expect from a beer with raw wheat.

A wit should have a sharp tang to it.

Doesn't look like an efficiency problem with those numbers.

I am a little surprised at the FG but lots of factors can lead to this.

I'd try warming it up for a day or two prior to bottling.

THe mandarin peel, if there was too much pith, could combine to contribute perhaps?

I would say bottle/keg and let it sit for a few weeks.

The sharp tang in my recent wit faded after a few...

That being said it could of course be an infection...

I-Agree.gif

Think the infection is a remote possibility given all else. 3944 can be tart, check the Wyeast site for characteristics, it can cope with high alcohol levels but not really agressive so prefers short chain (easily fermentable) sugars and may stop high using extract.

Folks seriously do an iodine test??? Jeez, with the enzyme levels of all Aussie maltsters that is mad. All convert quicker than a Mormon on a Sunday Morning. Trouble with Aussie malt is to stop it converting!

FG realated to yeast or O2 for yeast. Not enough air or poor cell numbers can make for a high FG.

Astringency -would say the spices!

A few things to look for.

Using 1.5kg of base malt with a total of 1.2 kg non malted grain could mean there are not enough enzymes in the mash. This would show up as a very grainy flavour, with lots of residual starch in the brew and associated haze. Some AG brewers love pushing this malted:unmalted boundary, but it shouldn't be part of a new brewer's partial mash strategy.

Also, the initial mash temperature is very important. A lot of conversion goes on at the start. If the mash temp is too high or too low, your wort is changed. Mash temp too high makes longer chain sachaarides, which contribute to a higher fg. Low mash temps make shorter chain sachaarides and a lower fg.

Plus the other suggestions that people have made regarding yeast health and asringency look to be on the money.

A few things to look for.

Using 1.5kg of base malt with a total of 1.2 kg non malted grain could mean there are not enough enzymes in the mash. This would show up as a very grainy flavour, with lots of residual starch in the brew and associated haze. Some AG brewers love pushing this malted:unmalted boundary, but it shouldn't be part of a new brewer's partial mash strategy.

Also, the initial mash temperature is very important. A lot of conversion goes on at the start. If the mash temp is too high or too low, your wort is changed. Mash temp too high makes longer chain sachaarides, which contribute to a higher fg. Low mash temps make shorter chain sachaarides and a lower fg.

Plus the other suggestions that people have made regarding yeast health and asringency look to be on the money.
So is it worth bottling now? I guess it's worth a go as the sg is stable. Will let it sit at 22c for a day to make sure.

Another day or two at 22 will not hurt it, but it is probably finished.

After you bottle, do keep an eye on this batch of bottles in case it slowly keeps fermenting.

Also, the high fg is going to make this beer taste sweet. You may want to blend it in the glass with a bitter brew, to make it more ale like.

Yes, don't throw it, bottle it.

May your next partial turn out better.

Back