First Partial Mash - Idea's Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crispy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am after ideas for my first partial...
I have 4 kg of wheat malt extract, 3 Kg of Munich Malt, 1 Kg CaraMunich, Hallertauer Hops, and will have Hall. pacific, Hall. Aroma, EKG, Super Alpha, Cascade and NZ Saaz soon (next week)

All ideas/recipes appreciated

Cheers - Crispy

Why don't you make APA. :p :chug:
Here's SFPA'crispy style' :)

I have no idea of the attenuation you get out of the extract and if i where a extract brewer i'd do a small 1litre batch with only the extract and see how far it comes down.
Knowing that you can choose what you need to get out of the other fermentables.
All this said I think the coopers is nearly %70 and you really don't need to worry too much at the stage. But its a good idea for people who buy bulk extract.

For the mash use about 78c water to hit about 67c depending on what your mashing in.

Here's the jist.

================================

fermentables

0.25 kg. Weyermann Caramunich I
2.00 kg. IMC Munich
3.00 kg. Coopers LME - Wheat This would be half barley as well so it would work well in this recipe. I haven't used it before though.

Hops

42.00 g. Cascade 60 min.
28.00 g. Cascade 15 min.
28.00 g. Cascade 5 min.
28.00 g. Cascade 1 min.
use even more at flame out if you like, i do

Yeast

WYeast 1028 London ale.

================================

thats for 65% effiency from the mash for 1.055 at 25 litres and around 40 ibu
Jayse

TDA,

I have 1318, 1028 and 3068

Cheers - Crispy

I agree with JM(now there's a first ;) )

A dunkleweizen would go well with what you have. Maybe get some black malt for colour as well for it to be truer to style, it's up to you.
Here is what I have come up with, this is for 20 litres with 75% efficiency, should give you a beer of OG 1050:

3kg Wheat malt extract
2kg Munich malt
0.3kg Caramunich
0.04kg Black malt

Hop between 10 to 20 IBU using Hallertauer.

3068 yeast ferment between 18 and 20C

Let us know what you go with Crispy and good luck.

C&B
TDA

Thanks for the recipe's Jayse and TDA,

I'll give them both a go, probably start the dunkleweizen this week, and the SFPA as soon as I get my delivery of Cascade (hopefully soon).

Cheers guys.

Thats all right mate, i too would have suggested a differnet beer in the style of what TDA and the monk are talking about.
But after our chat i thought i might as well give you something else to think about.

Cheers Jayse

Well, my first partial is under the belt,

I used

2.6 Kg Munich Malt
365g CaraMunich
2.9Kg Coopers Wheat Malt Extract

While Mashing, I decided that I was quite sick of the bannana taste of the Wyeast 3068, and ended up using 1028 London Ale yeast, :unsure: see how it go's.

OG for 20 Litres was 1.075, (checked this twice because it seemed quite high, by shaking the shit ot of the fermenter and dropping the Hyd. in the top 1.075 it is.)

Will let you know how it ends up in a few weeks.

Cheers - Crispy

Hmmmmm banana? That is likely not just the yeast but also the fermentation temperature.

For a wheat beer the Rule of 30 applies: sum of pitching and fermentatiuon temperatures should be close to 30. Ideally, pitch at 12C, ferment no warmer than 18C. That should give a nice subtle clove aroma

Jovial Monk

- JM,

Not trying to be a smart arse, but....

When the wyeast website reccomended temp for 3068 is 18 - 24C, why would you pitch at 12C??? :unsure:

My ferment temp was never above 19C

Cheers - Crispy

Back