First Partial Ferment Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh Jarse

Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently have my first partial in the fermenter and I have a question on ferment time?

American Amber Partial fermenting with a Fermentis Safale S-04 at 17 degrees and my fermenter is noticeably slowing 36 hours after first sign of activity. Is this normal with this yeast?

OG 1.042 (a little on the low side I know: put down to learning experience and extraction efficiency)
Current OG 1.020 (after 48 hours of initial pitch)
Original temp 16 degrees (confirmed by 2 separate thermometers at same time)
Temp up to 17.1 degrees now (using immersion heater and towels)

Any thoughts/advice?

Cheers,

Hugh

S-04 prefers 19C, but 36 hours is possible if fermentation was vigorous. Is there lots of ferment gunk at the surface/ edges? If so probably is going well, leave it for a few more days. If not, warm it up a bit and leave it for a few more days.

Ps didn't see current og, I think it's going fine. Still warm it up to 19C to help it finish.

Raise to 22°C now. This yeast can be finicky at low ale yeast temps. It's mostly past ester production by now.

Screwy

Original ferment temp was meant to be 18 degrees throughout, but according to mother nature in Tas and a new immersion heater, this was not meant to be apparently.
Only upped the temp today to 17 degrees so will leave until tomorrow morning and then up the temp again to 22 degrees as per screwy recommend.

Jotalgna; yes there is a lot of ferment gunk on the surface and edges.

Going to leave in fermenter for 2 weeks total and then off temp and out in the open for a week.

Cheers for the help.

Latest posts

Back