First Partial (Did I do it right?)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just did my first partial today, wondering if anyone can pick any major faults or lend advice on doing something better/more efficiently.

So the recipe is:

Coopers Real Ale 1.7kg BB 05/07/14 (used the kit yeast, didn't have anything better!)
Brew Booster 3 from LHBS 1kg (corn syrup, malt and glucose)
400gm Dextrose
250gm Caramunich 1 (steeped at 68c for 30 mins in 3L, added at 70.5c to try to compensate for drop in temp)
100gm Crystal (steeped at 68c for 30 mins in 3L, added at 70.5c to try to compensate for drop in temp)
20gm Calypso boiled for 10 mins
10gm Cascade boiled for 10 mins

So, here's my pots on the stove (I use a digital themometer I got off eBay)...

And here's the steep pot all wrapped up with the 350gm of grain added and the semi strained hop juice... (After taking this pic, I poured the hop juice into the sanitised fermenter through a small flour sieve and threw the lid on because I didn't want it sitting out for 30 mins uncovered while the grain was steeping)

This is how it looked (came out at 64.9c, which I guess is in part due to the small volume. I'll try to compensate by adding grain at around 74c next time perhaps)... (I didn't sparge, I just squeezed the buggery out of it)

This is it in the fermenter after whisking...

And this is how the whole lot looked just before I pitched the yeast (re-hydrated in sanitised water and container at 18c)...

O.G came out at 1.050 at 20c (couldn't get it any lower, combination of time and cbf)

I obviously added the other fermentables and mixed, got the entire batch to level (23L total) and pitched (20c). Into the fermenting chamber (a cupboard with a heating belt) it'll go for 2 weeks and sit around 15 degrees +\- 2 degrees The next step is to obviously to let it ferment, take gravity samples throughout etc. Once it's done, I'll be racking to secondary via tap to tap and cold crashing for 2 entire weeks (mostly because I need to empty some bottles in the meantime) and then it's bottling time. Planning on priming with 160gm of dextrose.

One concern I did have, was the yeast was only a 7gm packet. With an OG of 1050, I'm wondering if it'll take time or impart some undesirables on the beer? I have another 7gm packet of exactly the same yeast I could potentially re-hydrate and throw in too perhaps.

Please feel free to leave (constructive and helpful) criticism and tips :)

That's not really a partial. You've got no base malt.

Given that your grain was all spec malts, I think your attempts at insulating the steeping grain is not so important but is good practice for when you are mashing a partial.

3L is a little more than I would steep that amount of grain in but it won't do any harm and is again good practice for larger volumes when mashing for a partial.

I'd consider crashing in primary rather than racking. The time frame you're talking about will not allow the yeast cake to introduce bad flavours.

7gm is definitely underpitchy for a 1050-ish beer. It'll make beer though and should be okay assuming it was healthy and your temps are good.

Thanks for your reply.

So a partial by the numbers is typically something with a base malt, as in the majority of the fermentables come from that?

I did 3L because 2L looked too little, and 4L looked too much :lol:

I can definitely crash in the primary, no problem. Reduces risk of infection and oxidisation of course so I'm happy with that.

Do you think I should rehydrate and pitch the other 7gm of the identical yeast?

Did you boil your hops in water or malt. Boiling in malt makes s difference with how much is extracted. Boiling in just water is not enough.

Adding your steeped grains at a higher or lower temp will achieve SFA. It is you initial mash temp thats important. Xtal malts can be steeped at any temp as you are only extracting colour and flavour not sugars as with base malts. I used to boil my xtal/brown/roast malts for 10mins

I just boiled the hops in water. Never heard of boiling it in malt. Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you boil in malt? Do you mean like water with DME added? I can't imagine boiling LME, unless I'm well off target with what I'm imagining?

yes. boil in water with malt. Best way is to take out 1-2ltrs from your ferm and boil your hops in that then return to ferm and add your yeast.

or

Use the liquid you steeped your malts in

slcmorro said:
Thanks for your reply.

So a partial by the numbers is typically something with a base malt, as in the majority of the fermentables come from that?

Yes. It refers to partial mash as part of the fermentables come from mashing, the rest from extract, kit or sucrose.

Common mistake (one I made myself a while back). Steeping grains at the appropriate temp is, as Bum suggests, great practice for when you do use some base malt and there is absolutely nothing in your current setup that would stop you doing so next time.

You should hopefully notice a fresher more malty flavour in this brew.

One thing that is unclear to me is how you boiled the hops. Best thing to do is to steep the grains, strain the liquid into a pot, rinse grains with hot water then add enough malt extract to get the liquid to about 1030-1050. Bring that to a boil, then add the hops (calculated amounts to get the bitterness you want). Add flavour hops as appropriate. You used a prebittered tin so obviously that also needs to be taken into account.

In the last 10 minutes or so, dissolve the remainder of any extract or sugar and use the resulting hot liquid to dissolve and rinse out your prebittered tin into the fermenter.

If mashing 2.5 - 3 L water is fairly regular amount to add per kilo of grain but if you Brew in a Bag or single vessel brew, the ratio will change. 2.5 - 3:1 ratio of liquid to grain is easy to work with in any case.

Recipe looks like it should give you an enjoyable beer that hopefully surpasses what you have previously made. Definitely pitch more yeast next time though. Grab a pack of fermentis US05 maybe?

Thanks for explaining it. With the hops, to explain the process, I've literally just been adding in pre-determined (calculated guesses) amounts of hops at specific times, to either add bitterness, flavour or aroma or a combination. The Real Ale kit is quite heavily bittered for a kit, so I chose to drop the hops into boiling water and left it boiling for 10 mins to extract aroma/flavour more than anything.

I'd already predetermined the other fermentables, and just added them into the fermenter when I added the steeping liquid also.

If this turns out good, I'll consider using a base malt next time. Dr Smurtos Golden Ale seems to be a hit with everyone, and I think I've got the capacity to do all that's needed.

Missed that discussion earlier. May have taken place while I was typing or I may just be going blind.

Hahah. I'll refrain from commenting.

My next brew is going to be DSGA. Everyone raves about it, so why shouldn't I try it? :)

I found this recipe...

1 can Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat malt
1 kg Light Dry Malt
0.5kg Pale grain mini-mash
0.5kg Crystal grain mini-mash
50g Amarillo Hops ( 25g @ 15min, 25g @ 5 min )
US05

It was originally a 31.5L recipe, with a lower ABV. I've calculated that at 23L it'd be 6.10%.
I don't mind a higher strength beer, but I'm concerned it might add too much body and detract from it overall. I'll still give it a shot!

Checked it last night. Not really any krausen at all, just a very slight layer of foam on top. Pitched the other 7g yeast packet I had, and boosted the temp to 16c.

How big is your pot that you can boil in?

I could adjust the AG recipe for you to do a 23 Lt partial mash + extract.
Just need to know how large a volume you can boil.

Let me know if you are interested.

RB

The biggest pot I have at the moment mate is 8L right to the brim, just measured it.

Hmm... It is a little tricky to do a proper partial mash with a pot that size (possible, but not ideal).

I would stick to the kit + grains recipe
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

Although Dr Smurto does say "Hops adjusted to 20 min and flame-out. No dry-hopping." in an edit to the recipe.
So maybe change the hops to 15g Amarillo @20 and 0.
Steep the grains then use the mini wort to boil you hops in.
Make to 21Lt.

If you really are keen to do a mini mash and boil all the hops your self I can give you that recipe as well.
1 kg of JW traditional ale
0.25 JW caramalt
0.8 Munich
mash with 5 lt
sparge With 1.5 lt
boil
Amarillo 27g @ 60 min, 15g @ 20 and 15g at flameout.
Add

After boil
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
0.5 light dry malt extract (or pilsen if you can get it).

Top to 23 lt

Feel free to ask any questions

RB

Thanks bud, appreciated. I think I might go buy myself a larger pot. I have a mega massive wok burner on my gas stove, so I can't see getting it to temp as a problem especially if I use the kettle to assist.

Kmart have 15L pots for $12, got one a month ago and was perfect for a partial!

Back