First Kegerator Pour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I got a brand new Kegerator from Keg King. Did a 24-hour force carbonation at 30psi then set the regulator down to 10psi.

Well I’m getting a very foamy head on my beer. I’m talking 1/4 beer to 3/4 froth.

Steps I’ve taken so far:
  • D/C gas line and allowing CO2 to be released.
  • I have a flow control tap so I started slow and gradually increased the flow.
  • Bent the pipe in the keg so it wasn’t sitting against the bottom of the keg.
I’m getting frustrated and lost trying to fix my brew.

Appreciate any advice that this community has to give.

Attachments

• Pour.JPG
    Pour.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
Did you ferment under pressure if so you have probably over carbed your keg, Put the gas disconnect on the liquid post and give it about 5/7 psi for 10 secs, then try a pour after 5 mins, if its still foamy then repeat. If the beer is overcarbed then it probably also seems to be flat.

Is the second and third pour just soon after the first affected by foam? What temp is the kegerator set at? The flow control taps have more thermal mass so will increase the foam

So I got a brand new Kegerator from Keg King. Did a 24-hour force carbonation at 30psi then set the regulator down to 10psi.

Well I’m getting a very foamy head on my beer. I’m talking 1/4 beer to 3/4 froth.

Steps I’ve taken so far:
  • D/C gas line and allowing CO2 to be released.
  • I have a flow control tap so I started slow and gradually increased the flow.
  • Bent the pipe in the keg so it wasn’t sitting against the bottom of the keg.
I’m getting frustrated and lost trying to fix my brew.

Appreciate any advice that this community has to give.
I've carbed that long at higher temps without overcarbing, so that doesn't seem likely to be the problem. I'd suspect your lines are too long, but you said you have a flow control tap. Keg King have some tips here.

What is the temperature, the pressure and the beer line length?
Kegerator is set to 5C with 10psi currently set on the regulator. The beer line is what came standard with the kegerator, that being 1.4m of 4mm.

Frustrating, but strangely fun at the same time. Thankfully there are good communities out there where I can ask these questions in.

Kegerator is set to 5C with 10psi currently set on the regulator. The beer line is what came standard with the kegerator, that being 1.4m of 4mm.

Frustrating, but strangely fun at the same time. Thankfully there are good communities out there where I can ask these questions in.
My kegerator usually sits around 4/5 degrees C and 10/11 PSI. However I have 2 meters of beer line to provide enough friction given that 10 PSI is excessive pressure for a pour. The 10 PSI is there to force carb the keg but over approximately one week. I would have thought that 30 PSI over 24 hours would be far too much pressure. I've only used that method once but with a time of 5/10 minutes and a temp of 2 degrees C. That was more than enough.

I like the set and forget approach - 10/11 PSI, wait a week or so for the keg to carb up, (which can only be good for the brew in any event), 2 meters of beer line. I simply hook up the new keg and all's good.

Well I finally got a good pour :) Thank you everyone for the advice.

At 2C I had to set my regulator to 7psi. Still got a bit of work to do but I have a great starting point.

Attachments

• IMG_3515.jpeg
    IMG_3515.jpeg
    607.8 KB · Views: 0
Well after several weeks, I finally got back to my kegging and think I have found the right settings for an ale.

Temperature: 4C
Line length/diameter: 1.4m/4mm
Serving psi: 7psi

I did for carb for 24 hours at approx 19psi so while the beer is still a bit on the flat side, everything seems to have turned out alright. It's a better start than my first post, but it's a great place to continue from.

Attachments

• IMG_3767.jpeg
    IMG_3767.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 0
Have recently got a kegerator same setup i always find the first glass i pour a bit frothy.
I put this down to warm tap and line up the font as i dont have a chiller on the font itself.
Lines are slightly longer than yours as well.

Latest posts

Back