First Gold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoNG

RIP-FaB (BiBIFaP)
Reaction score
I've got 90g of "First Gold" sitting in the freezer and its about time i brewed some more Bitter.

So....
who's used it.?
where's it belong (shine) in the boil.?
what did you get from it.?
what should i NOT do..?

i know little about this one, so gimme some info.

Cheers
KoNG

i am in the same boat kong!
so will follow this thread with interest.

Never used it but I'm pretty certain it's the main hop in Adnam's Broadside. :)

Warren -

Never used it but I'm pretty certain it's the main hop in Adnam's Broadside. :)

Warren -

Here is some info regarding Adnams i got from one of there brewers...

For our cask Broadside at 4.7% ABV, we use a 80:20 blend of Maris Otter and Optic pale ale malts to give a full biscuity base flavour. We then use a blend of 3 English hop varieties, Fuggles, Goldings and First Gold which together give a well rounded bitterness. We use all the hops at the start of the boil, so we aren't looking for very strong hop aromas to remain in the beer, although you can get a slight orange/spicy hop note. The OG is 1049.5 with a final P.G. of 1013.5. We are looking for a bitterness of 33 BU. The final beer should be malty and full with a well balanced sweetness and Bitterness.

Our Bottled Broadside, at 6.3% uses 50:50 Maris Otter and Optic. It uses First Gold as it's only Hop which provides some of the orange peel character. The OG is 1066 and the PG is 1017. The final bitterness should be 43. The beer should have Strawberry Jam aromas and a fruity biscuity/caramel palate balanced by the bitterness.

The yeast we use is our own yeast which we grow up from scratch about once every 6 months to keep it fresh. So it is not something you can buy

Hope this is of some help

Happy brewing

Fergus Fitzgerald

Bobby.....NICE ONE..!!!!! that is some great info.
Mash temps would have been nice though..!! :lol: geez.

:/ (KoNG racks brain for a place near home to grab a broadside......)

I've done quite a few beers with it, including a single hopped Summer ale - It has become a firm favourite :) .
I describe it as a refined EKG, It's aroma & taste are more delicate & yes, there is a faint orangey/citrusy bent to it...
Basically use exactly the same as you would EKG.

cheers Ross

yeah except you can get their yeast , at least sometimes, it's Southwold that is a WL seasonal.

very interesting info though!

I have used first gold. i like it. like a sharper, greener version of Goldings. Didn't get a lot of citrus out of it myself (although commercial beers I've tasted with 1st gold have certainly had some citrusiness).

yeah except you can get their yeast , at least sometimes, it's Southwold that is a WL seasonal.

This is a GREAT yeast. I had some a couple of years ago. Used it for everything from bitters to APAs to dark ales and it worked a treat for all of them. Probably the most impressive liquid yeast I have used to date. Unfortunately I haven't seen it since then! :angry:

This is a GREAT yeast. I had some a couple of years ago. Used it for everything from bitters to APAs to dark ales and it worked a treat for all of them. Probably the most impressive liquid yeast I have used to date. Unfortunately I haven't seen it since then! :angry:

yeah i used it in a number of things. made a great bitter but also turned out a nice 12% US barleywine with no troubles. had an interesting "green walnut" sort of taste if you get me.

Bobby.....NICE ONE..!!!!! that is some great info.
Mash temps would have been nice though..!! :lol: geez.

:/ (KoNG racks brain for a place near home to grab a broadside......)

We use all the hops at the start of the boil, so we aren't looking for very strong hop aromas to remain in the beer,

Yeah. I can just see all hombrewers attempting to emulate Adnams fine products adding "all" their FG at the 60 minute mark. :rolleyes:

True hopheads need not apply. :lol:

Edit: Well researched Bobby.

Warren -

:D
I'd maybe "try" and do it Warren, then halfway through the boil, i'd be at the computer changing my hop additions to see if i can squeeze in a few more IBU's... and adding that much needed flame out addition.

Thanks for all the quick responses lads.
I'll sort out a recipe and post it when i'm ready to brew.

KoNG,

Another commercial example if you're looking is Badger First Gold which is available here in Australia - had one last weekend.

Badger First Gold

Dave

sweet.!
thanx dave... although i havent seen badgers in Sydney. Where are you.?

i saw it at camperdown cellars parramatta rd the other day KonNGG.

is that "worldbeers" neon..?
i just checked their website and it says they have the "champion golden ale" but didnt have the "first gold"

Hey Hey brewers,

I had a sample with dave the other day of the badgers first gold and have also had it previously and I find this beer to be wonderfull. I'am quite a narrow minded brewer and don't often come out of my small box when brewing bitters and just stick to the classics but this hop i'll be looking out for when I put a order in next. It does have quite a lot of dimensions too it and I hope to beable to capture that like the badger beer does.
In that beer at least I find it does have the citrus/fruity notes plus unlike other badger beers made with all sorts of flower blossums it has what I would simply call a classic 'fresh english ale' hop edge.

I'd say make your favourite bitter recipe and swap the ussual hop for this one.

Great stuff there bobby in the broadside info, a classic ESB for my mind. For the first gold first brew though I'd be looking at getting the most of the first gold finishing qualities because really in a beer with just kettle hops at the start it could be almost anything to a degree.

Theres gold in them there hills.
Jayse

is that "worldbeers" neon..?
i just checked their website and it says they have the "champion golden ale" but didnt have the "first gold"

nope it's just camperdown cellars and they definitely have the first gold. guess you might not know about it being north of the border :ph34r: - a decent bottlo with mainly wine emphasis but a good range of beer including quite a few english ales. they also have sinha stout which is definitely worth your time drinking. and murrays beers. parramatta rd just two blocks west of sydney uni on the right.

Latest posts

Back