First Ever Attempt At Ag/biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamiefbacon

Reaction score
was just after some feed back on this recipe i put together on brewmate, this will be the first AG brew ive done so should be interesting going to Biab, any advise would be great thanks

aussie lager 1 (Australian Lager)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Colour (SRM): 9.2 (EBC): 18.1
Bitterness (IBU): 42.4 (Average)

94.34% bb ale malt
4.72% Carapils (Dextrine)
0.94% Carafa III malt

1.3 g/L Cluster (5.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Cluster (5.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Cluster (5.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Cluster (5.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

0.1 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

sounds like a fine brew.

putting down my first ag/biab very soon..
let us know how your brew day goes

sounds like a fine brew.

putting down my first ag/biab very soon..
let us know how your brew day goes

will do it wont be till next monday as i work away looking foward to it tho will be very interesting :)

might want to drop some of those hops as that looks pretty bitter(and flavoursome) for an aussie lager. And maybe look at a lager yeast if you've got temp control.

I've been trying ot make an aussie lager for ages for my dad. using swiss lager yeast has got me closer than ever (previous attempts have used US05 or nottingham fermented really low). Also, 500g of rice would be good too. Just boil 500g in a big pot the day before and throw it into the mash.

I hope you have a great brewday!

might want to drop some of those hops as that looks pretty bitter(and flavoursome) for an aussie lager. And maybe look at a lager yeast if you've got temp control.

I've been trying ot make an aussie lager for ages for my dad. using swiss lager yeast has got me closer than ever (previous attempts have used US05 or nottingham fermented really low). Also, 500g of rice would be good too. Just boil 500g in a big pot the day before and throw it into the mash.

I hope you have a great brewday!

I had a feeling there might have been to much hops in there. What would the rice do?

I agree with ekul, you have an APA level of hops in that thing.

You have a fairly mild malt base, so the hops
1.3 g/L Cluster (5.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) - OK
1.5 g/L Cluster (5.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) - drop all together
1.5 g/L Cluster (5.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) - I would go about 1g/L
0.8 g/L Cluster (5.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) - drop

The rice will help lighten the malt flavour of the beer, gives alcohol without the malt flavour, works great in an aussie lager / lawnmower beer
Basically you swap you base malt out by weight for the rice, so if using the 0.5kg rice drop 0.5kg BB Ale

Also not too sure about Carafa III malt in an aussie? maybe a hit of cara munich would be better.
also maybe a little bit of wheat to help with head retention would not hurt, but not too much.

QldKev

+1 for the wheat. I generally use about 10% wheat in just about all my brews.

Never tried the rice though.

Good Luck,
Bowie

Looks like with your original recipe you've got over 41IBU. In my opinion this will be way out of balance for style.

What QldKev suggests for the hop additions looks god... do that. that will give you about 23IBU...much more appropriate.

If it's your first ag... don't bother with the rice addition. Maybe next one, but for your first try and keep it simple. I'd also drop the carafa. Keep it nice and light in lince with what you're chasing. It should come out as a nice faux lager with US05 fermented cool (say 16 if you can)

thanks for all your suggestions im very fresh to homebrewing so still learning a lot, ive decided to knock the hops back and get rid of carafa and ferment a bit lower n we will see how that turns out. If i was to use orginal recipe say for next brew would it be drinkable or just to bitter?? thanks again

aussie lager 1 (Australian Lager)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Colour (SRM): 4.8 (EBC): 9.5
Bitterness (IBU): 25.2 (Average)

95.24% bb ale malt
4.76% Carapils (Dextrine)

1.3 g/L Cluster (5.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Cluster (5.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

0.1 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 16C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

give your original recipe a crack, everybody has their own taste.
The bitterness is not too high to be drinkable, it was just to high for an Aussie lager. You are just stepping up to a bitter instead.

at the end of the day you are the one drinking it and if its too bitter you'll know for next time.

G'day Jbacon
I'd +1 the adding of a bit of wheat malt. Only 5% or so if you've got some. Will still be clear if you use some gelatine in the secondary.
Biab is great ..... and so far I have not had a dud .....
Keep it simple as you say - good luck
Cheers
BBB

He has almost 5% carapils in the grain bill. It was my understanding that carapils was good for head retention and stability?

Is wheat that much better and is there any difference?

Really good question Punkal - i dont know the answer
Maybe Speedie will chime in ..... :unsure:
Cheers
BBB

Good idea to drop the Carafa 3. I find you need a few other dark malts for that one to go with - by itself it's a bit sharp.

Latest posts

Back