First Bulk Prime

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been sure on the temp calculations for priming. Do you use the fermentation temperature, or the serving temperature? I'd guess the same number of moles of gas is produced at whatever fermentation temperature (assuming the sugar is all converted), so if you chill it, the carbonation level should drop, no? PV/nT=R, with fixed V and n, P proportional to T. Or does n vary with temperature, because the yeast stops producing. :unsure:

For me, bulk priming was a must, as I have a collection of strange sized bottles and I am lazy. Those lollies, it was only a matter of time before I would forget a bottle or two.

I use dex and Promash provides the amounts I set the carbonation for Ales at 3 and for wheat at 3.2 stouts 2.6. Turns out perfectly carbonated.

I think I know the answer to my questions, but I'd rather be sure than be guessing.

If I do bulk prime, do I need to bottle straight away?

If I've got the concept right, this is racking, so if I do this into a sealable fermenter, can I leave it for a week before bottling?

I'm hoping the second question is the way to go - it allows me time to clean a fermenter, before I have to clean the bottles. :p

Yes you do need to bottle straight away, as the yeast will consume the priming sugar before you get the beer into the bottle, leaving you with flat beer.

Please let me know how it turns out. I am drinking stuff I bulk primed now and it is possibly a little flat but not to bad. A few more goes and some more feedback and I will add it to the WANKAA (Wiki Also Now Known As Articles)

Sorry for the slow feedback. For the style I reckon mine was a little under carbonated, the head forms strong and it is nice and creamy, just the mouth feel is a tad lacking. Good starting point though :)

thanks for letting me hijack briefly. Phonos and buttersd70, thanks for your replies. Off I go to clean.
Cheers.

Back