First Brew Yesterday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake.v

Reaction score
Hi All

I brewed my first brew yesterday which was abit crazy i went with Wals dry lager with 500g of dex, 250g LME and 250 of maltordextrin with some cluster and saaz for hops.

i have it in my beer fridge at around 14-15c where it will stay for around 3 weeks

When i was adding the water added to much hot water and had to wait about 15-20 minutes to cool down abit i put the lid on with the airlock to try and prevent any contamination. How long will it take to start seeing any action its been about 24hours and it looks the same as when i first added it.

cheers jake

Hi jake,
what type of yeast did you use, and how much? Did you re hydrate the yeast before you added it to the fermenter? You would normally see some action within 24 hours, if your fermenter and air lock seal well, I have a fermenter that I use all the time that has never bubbled through the air lock. Your fermentation temp is a little cool if you are using ale yeast. Oh and did you do a boil for the sugars and hops? Anyway its all part of the fun!

Good luck

i used the lager yeast that came with the kit as i lost the other stuff i got i had the hops in boiling water for 10 minutes before adding. i rehydrated the yeast about 15 minutes before adding to the wort and i disolved the sugars in the boiling water when i added the kit

Doing better than my first brew - hell better than most of my brews now - you have temp control. Sounds like it'll be a decent drop. I'm not sure about lager yeasts, I only do ale, but I'm thinking that it might be a little low for the initial building up of numbers part of the deal.

i used the yeast that came with the kit

i had morgans lager yeast but i lost it at the time of brewing which i have now found can i pitch it into the wort to be sure that the yeast is ok? or should i wait?

Just because it's a lager kit, doesn't mean it's a lager yeast. What do the instuctions on the can say?

it was labeled lager yeast WP something from memory

if i pitch the morgans yeast in now will it affect the taste or risk contaminating it

just checked it out again there is a light foam about 5-6mm thick on top of the wort and the water in the airlock is to one side showing that there is positive pressure in the fermentor so fingers crossed

what brand of kit was it? only kit I know with lager yeast (well mix of lager and ale) is coopers euro but never used any othe brand so cant say

Jake sounds like your on the right track and femention is under way. If I use a lager yeast and pitch at say 18deg and chill to 12 it cantake48 hours or better tokick in .... Dont panic good beer takes time.

Cheers

it was wals dry lager feel abit more relaxed now worst thing that could happen is i have to mix a new one

a few guys ive spoken with locally rate it quiet well Wals kits ill keep you all up dated on how it goes

Not that cheap considering the Sponsors above sell 90g packs compared to 60g

I was compairing the price I paid at Brewcraft. Craftbrewer is even less than half of what I paid. I never looked up the sponsors of this website, thanks for the heads up on that one, I love bargin.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back