First Brew......helllppp!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzDog

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to brewing and I got a Coopers Home Brew kit for Fathers Day (You Beauty!) and I am hoping this will be the start of a great hobby. I have been reading some of the posts in this forum and have already learnt heaps about the world of brewing.

But I need some help already........I put my brew on at 9pm on Monday night, I pitched the yeast at 22 degrees and everything looked fine (to my novice eyes)

Tuesday I checked my brew and it was bubbling away happily, so I was content that the fermentation process had started and it was sitting nicely at 26 degrees.

This morning Wednesday at 6:30am I got up and checked the brew first thing and.........there is foam now coming out of the air lock. It is still sitting at 26 degrees, doesnt look like there is any water in the air lock, just foam, and every now and again more foam gets spewed out of the top.

So many questions......Is this a problem? Is my brew ruined? Do I need to do something?? or leave it as is? Should I remove the airlock and clean it out and fill with water again?? The fact that more foam is coming out, doesnt that mean it is still fermenting?? HELLLPP!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks heaps.

Cheers,

Az

Firstly welcome to AHB.

26 is way too high, 18-20 is perfect for ales and 10-12 for lagers. I would say those high temps are causing some aggressive fermentation, hence the foam (krausen) coming out of the airlock. Just fill it back up with cool boiled water or a mix of no-rinse sanitiser, or even vodka. Airlocks are no way to determine if fermentation is happening (there are usually small air leaks around the lid somewhere or even around the grommit where the airlock sits) the krausen is and also a drop in the gravity, airlocks are there to solely keep bugs/crap out . Try and bring that baby back down to 20 degrees, try some frozen water bottles wrapped around it or drape a wet towel around it a stick a fan on it or both, it'll make all the difference.

Edit: If the krausen is still comming through then ditch the airlock, grab a piece of food grade hose, put it in the hole and put the other end in a jar with some water. this should help keep the mess at bay.

Welcome AzDog to AHB.

Oh how we love an airlock question here on the forum (so brace yourself :ph34r: ).

Your brew is fine and very drinkable, just let is settle down (say a day or 2) and clean up the mess and the airlock. Make sure you sanitise everything including your hands. But you do need to drop that temp to at least 20C. Try using some frozen PET bottles and or a wet towel and a fan. Search temperature control on the forum for ideas.

Good luck

Chappo

I've never had a brew spew through the airlock yet but it'll be right if you clean it up after it subsides. What sanitisers have you got?
Your brew would probably be better of if you can get the temp down to around 18-20 degrees. Use cold towels or milk bottles full of ice, or anything you can think of.
Your fermentation would be a little more subdued at lower temps and probably not come through the airlock. How much headspace did you have?
I'm sure your brew will OK, don't panic.

Echoing other comments on here already it shall be fine. Once the krausen has settled down again, I would pull out the airlock give it a rinsie in santiser and replace.

All shall be well. :icon_cheers:

Welcome to the obsession!
Just let it foam away.
If you've got a heat belt on it, take it off. Try and get the temp down to 20.c for future brews.

+1 for evaporation! ...a wet towel draped round the fermenter, wicking the cold/iced water from the laundry sink it's sat in, and a fan... But do keep an eye on this, as temps might even get below the yeast's optimum brewing range! Make sure the stick on thermometer on your fermenter is above the water level...
But, she'll be fine... and you'll know for your next one...

Wow that was quick....thanks guys.

Ok, so I need to get the temp down to aroun 20 degrees........after that remove the airlock, clean and sanitise it and fill with cooled boiled water....check.

The instructions on the kit said to keep the brew between 21 degree and 27 degrees, so I thought I was keeping it at the right temp....obviously not from your replies and the foam spewing out the top.

Out of curiosity, why do i need to put cooled boiled water into the airlock and not just tap water?

Thanks heaps guys, I will let you know how I get on.

Az

At least all the replies were the same! I found that as well as the wet towel option, hitting it with a fan will help cool it better (that is with the towel). Just make sure you keep the towel damp. Much like this.

Edit: Don't worry too much about the overflow of foam. I had a Stout that went nuts and in the end all was fine. This was with low ferment temps too, so it happens regardless sometimes. Just make sure anything touching beer or with the potential to touch beer is sterilised.

The liquid in the airlock needs to be sterile - I use a splash of Vodka for what it's worth...

Others may disagree...

'specially those that just cover the fermenter with cling wrap...

Out of curiosity, why do i need to put cooled boiled water into the airlock and not just tap water?

Yes Az just remember everything likes beer including yourself. The more sterile the better ;) .

Don't beat yourself up about the temps either as the instructions are very very wrong and misleading. Stick here Az and well make you a better brewer.

Yes the foam can get away on you if you are not careful. In the early part of fermentation the brew generates its own heat, and can heat up a few degrees overnight so suddenly it's running at 25 instead of the 22 you were aiming for. And generally for every ten degrees celsius chemical reactions occur at twice the speed which is why lizards sun themselves in the morning :p

So temperature control is important. However the brew should be fine, but you may notice it tasting a bit more 'fruity' because the higher temperatures can produce some esters. Don't worry: this one picked up a bronze at a recent competition:

COOPERS_FOAM.JPG

:) :)

[quote name='O'Henry' post='517734' date='Sep 9 2009, 11:51 AM']hitting it with a fan will help cool it better[/quote]

Whoaa...!! Just sit the fan on the ground, plug it in, switch on and point at the brew. No need for armed combat...

;)

I've just started a dark ale which is doing the same thing...... I'm just retopping the airlock with water as the foam blows it out. I'm too scared to remove it and clean the airlock so will it be ok to just keep retopping the airlock as is?

QUOTE (O'Henry @ Sep 9 2009, 11:51 AM) hitting it with a fan will help cool it better

Maybe O'H is more into the Rock Star brewing style? Smashes his fan against the fermenter rather than the guitar?

hc.jpg

I've just started a dark ale which is doing the same thing...... I'm just retopping the airlock with water as the foam blows it out. I'm too scared to remove it and clean the airlock so will it be ok to just keep retopping the airlock as is?

Yes this is also fine - however you may find cleaning the airlock mighty hard after sitting there with krausen in it for a week or so...

if its a 2 piece then no issues at all.

I think i heard the manufacturers call fro the 21-27 temp range so they brew out in a week. Cos no-one wants to wait more than they have to for their home brew right? ;)
Patience is the key. But it's a long wait indeed.

Yes this is also fine - however you may find cleaning the airlock mighty hard after sitting there with krausen in it for a week or so...

if its a 2 piece then no issues at all.

Its not the 2 piece unfortunately, so I guess if I can't get this airlock clean I will just buy a new one..... they aren't expensive so I'm not too worried :D

Thanx for the advice :)

By saying 21-27 deg C the manufacturers pretty much insure against new brewers getting sliced in half with exploding bottles.

Step One - throw away those instructions

Step Two - Read this website

You're already well on the way to making great beer.

Yay another perth brewer. In no time at all you'll be progressing up to adding your own spec malts and hops and then base malts for all grain goodness.

I am one of those that have ditched the lid and airlock and just put glad wrap over the top and hold it place with the lid's o-ring.

The reason for pre-boiled water is that it's been sanitised so that if the fermenter decides to suck a little in due to pressure changes then it's less likely to introduce a nasty.

And like others have said, drop the temp to 18-20C for a clean ferment. You might find that this brew has some funky flavours, but don't let that stop you from brewing again.

Latest posts

Back