First Brew....and the battle of the Wheats

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fu ManBru

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thought I'd share my first homebrew results with folks here.

A few weeks back I received a Coopers homebrew fermenter for Father's Day and ingredients for a wheat beer including Whispering Wheat extract tin, oranges, coriander and wheat (my wife got the recipe of her brother who had recently brewed this and recommended it).

I had a lot of fun on brew day and was pleasantly surprised when I tasted the beer during fermenting and the day of bottling.

As luck would have it my bro-in-law was due to visit 10 days after the bottling and I suggested a blind taste test between our brews and a couple of commercial examples. He agreed and brought a few of his bottles over from Perth. I purchased two commercial varieties with my bro-in-law and I being joined by my wife and the mother-in-law for the tasting and judging.

The contenders......

All.jpg

Iron House Wheat Beer
Little Man HefeWeizen (my brew, named after my recently born son)
The Smuggled Budgie HefeWeizen (bro-in-laws effort)
Moo Brew HefeWeizen

Now as tasters we are no experts but I printed off a few tasting sheets to score the beers (bro-in-laws fiancee would bring the beer so we were "blind").

We were all surprised by the quality of ALL the beers. I thought it would be easy to tell the difference between the homebrews and the commercial brews but it was not the case.

Two beers tied for first, the Moo Brew and Little Man! But all scored on average in the mid to high 30's out of 50.

Overall, good fun and followed up with a few more cold ones. Will keep a few to condition as I'm keen to try after a few months.

Cheers

Nothing personal but i dunno if i would be drinking beers from a brewery with a name like yours!
Good job with your beer though, well done!

Hefes don't tend to age well, but then they don't last very long at all around here :p
I should add, the very first Dry malt beer I made was a Hefeweizen, using Wyeast 3068 25g saaz hops. Got me hooked from the very first glass.
Still my fav house beer after 5 years of brewing :icon_drool2:

Yeah I think that brewery name was a once off Alex. :lol:

I'll ensure I have polished the Hefe off by the end of summer Flash. Was planning a bit of a Xmas session :chug:

Dry hopped red ale and a partial Fat Yak coming up too. Really starting to like this homebrew stuff!

Latest posts

Back