First brew and I'm excited

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigtwist

Reaction score
Bought a copper tun starter kit and fermented the classic blonde it came with tasted bit watery when bottling just waiting 2 weeks to try now . For my second one I have bought the ingredients and am following the authentic IPA recipe on the coopers site, scored myself 90 longnecks off gumtree so I have some cleaning to do before I get it down. Havnt even cracked my first bottle yet bit worried it'll still taste watery but I am still excited about this home brewing capper

First of all, welcome! I totally understand your excitement. I've been brewing a while now (~40 brews in total I think) and I still get excited for brew day, and then again before the first tasting of a batch.

About the wateriness, I'm not sure what you added other than the can of blonde goop, but I wouldn't be surprised if your starter kit came with a bag of dextrose or something similar. If it was simple sugar like dextrose, that can make the beer pretty thin becuase the dex is pretty much 100% fermentable. This means there's not much left to give the beer body. I just looked up the IPA recipe you mentioned and it looks like it'll be alright as it's got a fair bit of malt extract and only a bit of sugar. Should give you some better body.

Happy brewing.

I think it has to be about the best hobby there is because you get beer at the end of it.

Enjoy, Its a slippery slope from here!!

Back