First BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellnut

Reaction score
Well just finished boiling my first BIAB brew and just waiting for it to cool. I was gifted some pale malt from a friend and have a little Munich malt for colour. Have just made a small batch (13 L) to learn from and start putting what I have read into practice. Used Brew mate for my recipe using what stock I had on hand. I'm not expecting a miraculousness super fantastic brew out of this first attempt but rather gaining some good experience and a better under standing. So I'm scarred and excited to see how this brew will turn out

Recipe I have created from what I have on hand and used for this batch.

13L Batch size
Style - Pale Ale

2.5kg Pale malt
0.15kg Munich malt

11g East Kent Golding (10.5% alpha) (leaf) @ 60 min
11g Saaz (3.5% alpha) (pellet) @ 30 min
6g Saaz (3.5% alpha) (pellet) @ 15 min

yeast - Safale US-05

Target OG 1.044
Target FG 1.011

Congrats mate, might not be the most sexy beer in the world but assuming you hit numbers and don't have any other issues I think it will be tasty.

Plus simple beers help you learn ingredients which is what it's all about at the beginning. What was the IBU out of interest?

If your scarred your doing it wrong, there should be no sharp edges in your brewery.. :D if your scared thats normal, we all were for our first time.

Make sure you enter all of your figures into brewmate such as evaporation loss, losses to trub etc as this will help you get your numbers spot on for future brews.

Ah my spelling is shocking, it's as bad as my hand writing but thankfully you don't have to see that on the forums. Well miss gravity came out at 1.041. The IBU for the batch was 35.6 EBC was 7.9. The sample tasted good. Just need a little more prep for the next batch and a bigger pot to do a 20L wort.

Well kegged my beer earlier in the week. FG came out at 1.010. Tasted the sample and I think this has to be the best beer I have ever brewed so far. I suspect that this batch will go in one sitting with a few friends that are eager to try this batch as well.

Back