First Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ignore them. do what you want, its your brew! i wanna see the results! cant wait for the post!

Or do a mini-brew...

:)

Probably the best advice is to just store the majority of your crystal in a tupperware container or something, and get some more base malt, then do a 90/10

Yeah I think I'm convinced lol.

Just to push the limits a bit, maybe will try a 50/50.. Now just need to find some milled grain by saturday :S

I'd just follow a known recipe if I was starting out, take the brewing classic styles recipe, look at this grainbill for example. If you wanted to use the hops you have instead of purchasing more, you could alter that to suit.

OG. 1.080 FG. 1.013
IBU 284
Color 6 SRM

6.91kg 2-row/ale malt
227g wheat malt
227g crystal 40L

mash at 66c

Warrior 15%, 90m - 57g. 117.8 IBU
Chinook 13%, 90m - 57g. 102.1 IBU
Simcoe 12%, 45m - 28g. 38.4 IBU
Columbus 14%, 30m- 28g. 25.5 IBU
Centennial 9%, 0m - 64g.
Simcoe 12%, 0m - 28g.
Columbus, dry - 92g.
Centennial, dry - 50g.
Simcoe, dry - 50g.

wyeast 1056 / us-05 yeast

This beer could well be a spot on clone for VB :lol: . Good luck!

At the risk of sounding like a grump, and not trying to deflate the OP who has the best of intentions but....

Why TF does nearly everybody doing their first AG brew (3v or BIAB whatever) decide to make a Hefepoodle Grand Cru Weizen Marzen Ambassador extra double SchwartenHellerBockLager. Then wail that it doesn't turn out like something from Dans.
I would recommend just a simple brew to get the hang.
If you like ales, do a simple base malt plus some crystal and hop to 30 IBU
If you like lagers, do a simple ale as above and go for a lager next time.

It's like any hobby, you can't expect to buy some oil paints and a canvas and expect your first painting to be:

MARTIN-John-The-Bard.jpg

All grain is not difficult but it is a skill - developed over a couple of thousand years. I mean doesn't anyone watch Masterchef ??????

That's Tidal Pete

Edit: before his hair problems

+1 to bribie. My first few recipes were fairly simple and turned out great. All on the recipe db.

Get the process (however it may be for you) sorted, either invent your own simple recipe or use a tried and tested, get a feel for what does what (malt, hops, whatever) and go from there.

At the risk of sounding like a grump, and not trying to deflate the OP who has the best of intentions but....

Why TF does nearly everybody doing their first AG brew (3v or BIAB whatever) decide to make a Hefepoodle Grand Cru Weizen Marzen Ambassador extra double SchwartenHellerBockLager. Then wail that it doesn't turn out like something from Dans.

It's like any hobby, you can't expect to buy some oil paints and a canvas and expect your first painting to be:

MARTIN-John-The-Bard.jpg

All grain is not difficult but it is a skill - developed over a couple of thousand years. I mean doesn't anyone watch Masterchef ??????

I had this delma today. I purchased a 25kg bag of grain and 1kg of POR hops a couple of weeks ago. Today before work I thought I would smash out a brew. As I am only new to BIAB, and cocky, thought I would play with NickJD's recipe in his 20l stovetop theard. Even put out the call should I add more POR hops? Thankfully I resisted with some advice the urge to make shit beer. I have now conviced myself that I should just keep mastering 2 brews so then, maybe, I have an idea of what the hell is going on cause ATM I don't know if my beer is good or bad?

All in all, yet again, good advice BribieG.

You are not going to revolutionize brewing with your first beer.... Make a simple ale or similar and go from there. The fact that you thought that it was ok to have a 100% crystal grain bill shows that you are not ready to brew all grain.

I know I am only new to all this but I understand why people who have been doing this for a long time get annoyed at people who come in all rush rush, ready to redefine things. However go ahead and make the 100% crystal imperial IPA, we don't have to drink it! But we want your first all grain experience to be good so you come back for more! I would love to make an imperial IPA but my brewing skills aren't at that level and I have 10 or so All Grain batches under my belt. Not saying that I am the yardstick for progressing through brewing, but making an imperial anything is hard. The first high gravity beer I made tasted like ethanol, but drinking that whole batch has made me learn to take things one step at a time.

edit* Excuse my grammar, I've had a few. :kooi:

I had lots of ideas when getting into AG (about 4 weeks ago - must thank Thirsty Boy for his G&G BIAB demos), I avoided starting with a more difficult brew and started with DrSmurto's Golden Ale. It seems to have turned out good (I hit my targets, smells and tastes wonderful), and in hindsight, I'm glad I did that to get used to doing AG brewing. It was actually my second ever brew (first was a K&K) and was looking into extract and found the various BIAB tutorials here, had an urn in the garage and am loving it. Just did my fourth AG brew yesterday and am still learning and can see I still have heaps to learn.

I'm yet to try and create my own recipe though.

:drinks: I did say I was convinced above :p

Now I'm going to have to buy myself a grain mill, oh dear what ever shall I do ;)

Hrm.... and something to safely store abuot 5kg of Crystal :unsure:

So am i still being yelled at if I buy Maris Otter (ebc4.9-5.5)?

:drinks: I did say I was convinced above :p

Now I'm going to have to buy myself a grain mill, oh dear what ever shall I do ;)

Hrm.... and something to safely store abuot 5kg of Crystal :unsure:

So am i still being yelled at if I buy Maris Otter (ebc4.9-5.5)?

Hell no. That's a really nice base malt. DO IT!!!!

Because you can buy draught at any liquor store. but find me a Hefepoodle Grand Cru Weizen Marzen Ambassador extra double SchwartenHellerBockLager i can buy?

Picked up some Marris Otter and a grinder on the way home... Bring on Saturday!

Follow the experienced brewers advice and you won't have a problem. :beerbang:

Back