First Biab, Gravity Help Please.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanIAm

Reaction score
Hi People,

My first brew, I would appreciate feedback so I can learn.

I grabbed a crown urn a bag/ingredients and then used a bock recipe from promash.

My sg was 1.055, when promash indicated 1.066

Ingredients

500g Joe White Crystal Malt
250g Bestlmaltz Melladoinin
1500g Weyermann Munich Dunkel
4500g Bestmaltz pilsner
Wyeast Activator 125 ml Bavarian Lager 2206

23g Hellertau Northern Brewer
8g Helleratu Herbrucker

Same weight of ingredients as the recipe, but it appears I was eating sausages from a different barbeque in relation to the sg.

Mash Schedule was...
57 degrees for 30 minutes
68 degrees for 90 minutes
76 degrees for 30 minutes.
then I removed the bag and turned it onto "boil the buggery out of it" for 60 minutes.

I didn't use the urn temp, I had it plugged into a (whats the name of the thingo...) electronic temperature regulator with probe (thingo).

Any ideas of why my SG is different to promashes? If it helps, I took an SG reading at 20 degrees when I pitched the yeast.

Oh yeah... FG was 1018 after 2 weeks at 10 degrees in the fermenting fridge (I love my temperature regulator with probe thingo). Gravity changed by a whopping .002 over the course of the last week. I woulda thunk that the FG would get lower, so any insight into FG would also be helpful.

Thanks for any advice from the sages here.

Thanks for the links Felten,

I've had a quick look, I'll go through it in ernest later today. The minister for home affairs has me busy for most of the sunlight hours this weekend, the sun is out and the lawns and other fun gardening stuff calls (apparently).

Though I'm sure it will be thirsty work, so all is not lost. :drinks:

Dan ,
I just put it into Beersmith and came up with 1.051 O.G.You might have to do some fine tuning with your system to get the 1.066 , which may mean that you have to add more malt to reach the intended gravity , that , or look at your volumes to see if you can hit the expected gravity .IE, less water .

Cheers

Latest posts

Back