First Biab Attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mclovin

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,

I have just kegged my first BIAB all grain ale last weekend and after 1 week in primary I reached FG 1.015 constant gravity using the US 05 yeast strain. I started out with an OG reading of 1.050 and my SRM colour was around 13.0. I am now close to 1 week in the keg at 2.5 'C, no secondry just drained it straight into the keg for refrigerating prior to carbonation. Well I could not wait any longer so this evening I decided to carb it up and try out.

I must say that I am very pleased with the results, as this is my first attempt at brewing all grain style. I am able to detect a decent hop flavour as I used Pride of Ringwood and East Kent Goldings to about 30 IBU. I have a base ale malt around 87% with some wheat 8% and dark crystal at 5%, so i am very pleased with the results so far to date. My ale just seems to be lacking a little crispness at the monent but i guess this is because its only 1 week old, it also seems to be a touch cloudy, but i heard the BIAB method is know to produce cloudy beers. :icon_cheers:

Hi fellow brewers,

I have just kegged my first BIAB all grain ale last weekend and after 1 week in primary I reached FG 1.015 constant gravity using the US 05 yeast strain. I started out with an OG reading of 1.050 and my SRM colour was around 13.0. I am now close to 1 week in the keg at 2.5 'C, no secondry just drained it straight into the keg for refrigerating prior to carbonation. Well I could not wait any longer so this evening I decided to carb it up and try out.

I must say that I am very pleased with the results, as this is my first attempt at brewing all grain style. I am able to detect a decent hop flavour as I used Pride of Ringwood and East Kent Goldings to about 30 IBU. I have a base ale malt around 87% with some wheat 8% and dark crystal at 5%, so i am very pleased with the results so far to date. My ale just seems to be lacking a little crispness at the monent but i guess this is because its only 1 week old, it also seems to be a touch cloudy, but i heard the BIAB method is know to produce cloudy beers. :icon_cheers:

Congrats on the first BIAB! What temp did you mash at? To get it more crisp you may want to try and get that FG lower. Regarding the cloudiness, I BIAB and dont filter and my beers turn out clear. You need to take your time with the fermentation process and then cold condition and gelatine to help the yeast fall out of suspension.

But great work on getting the first one over and done with and in the keg! They only get better and better.

Congrats on the first BIAB! What temp did you mash at? To get it more crisp you may want to try and get that FG lower. Regarding the cloudiness, I BIAB and dont filter and my beers turn out clear. You need to take your time with the fermentation process and then cold condition and gelatine to help the yeast fall out of suspension.

But great work on getting the first one over and done with and in the keg! They only get better and better.

Thanks. I mashed for 90 @ 66 ish need to get a floating mercury thermometer, i have a digital with a probe and it seems to be a bit out. I will check out the gelatine.

Thanks. I mashed for 90 @ 66 ish need to get a floating mercury thermometer, i have a digital with a probe and it seems to be a bit out. I will check out the gelatine.

+1 The gelatine. Crystal clear brews using BIAB - no worries. I too couldn't wait and got straight into my first keg. Done 17 now and it just gets better as you let them ferment right out, secondary with gelatine and cold crash for a time. You are hooked now ....
Cheers
BBB

+1 The gelatine. Crystal clear brews using BIAB - no worries. I too couldn't wait and got straight into my first keg. Done 17 now and it just gets better as you let them ferment right out, secondary with gelatine and cold crash for a time. You are hooked now ....
Cheers
BBB

I maybe a bit impatient, FG was constant for 3 days and my air lock leveled out. I will look into a secondary vessel also.

Does the wort go solid with the gelatine added? How much should be used for 19 ltr batch.

I wouldn't worry about a secondary right now. Just work on getting fermentation process and sanitation down pat. I leave my beers for a week after I reach FG to let the yeast cleanup and do their thing. When I started doing this and taking my time my beers got a lot better.

I maybe a bit impatient, FG was constant for 3 days and my air lock leveled out. I will look into a secondary vessel also.

Does the wort go solid with the gelatine added? How much should be used for 19 ltr batch.

I use Davis Gelatine (not flavoured). 1 satchel per corny keg. Boil some water let it cool a touch - use about 250ml water and mix it up. Let it sit for awhile. Throw it in the keg and then just keg as per usual. There are others that get pretty technical with the gelatine and temps etc etc. This way has worked for me and is simple like me .....
It's easy to prescribe patience when you have a kegerator full of beer !!!!! :icon_chickcheers:
Cheers
BBB

Back