First BIAB and using old yeast...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willhyde

Reaction score
So after a dozen or so kits and extract + grain brews I acquired a cheapo 48L urn and a big grain bag and ordered a brown ale all-grain recipe pack, including WLP002 yeast - first time BIAB and first time liquid yeast...

Playing with the BIAB beer designer spreadsheet I estimated I needed 30L of water to start with, to end up with 22L of wort. Oh how wrong I was.

Anyway, all went relatively smoothly until the end of the boil, when I realised that the level of the wort hadn't dropped as much as I thought it might. I pitched the yeast as I was siphoning to get it mixed in well, filled my FV to 22L and still had quite a bit left over. Luckily I had a clean 5L demi-john handy that used to be used for wine making, so I quickly rinsed it out with no-rinse sanitiser and filled it with wort. Only problem, the yeast was all in the FV...

I didn't want to risk contaminating the main brew by sticking a wine thief in to get some yeasty wort out, and wasn't sure I'd even get enough yeast to make it viable. A quick scout round the brewing cupboard yielded a plain white packet of yeast from a kit beer ages ago. Could be six months old, could just as easily be a couple of years. So I just chucked it in, without even rehydrating it to see if it was still viable :huh: With hindsight I should have just left the demi-john sealed and ordered some fresh yeast online.

The main brew started fermenting within 12 hours and looks promising. The 5L was still inactive after four days... but today, lo and behold, it's bubbling away merrily. I'm hoping that it's a case of insufficient yeast numbers to start with, so it took a while, rather than it being some wild yeast that got in, but it'll be interesting to compare how the two yeasts turn out.

And also, the OG was 1.040 so even though it was a bit diluted I'm hoping to get a decent session beer out of it :drinks:

Ha Welcome to my world
If you don't **** it up a few times how will you know when you're doing it right
It will probably be the best beer you've ever made

Well, at least you know roughly what your boil off rate is now. Easy adjustment to make for next time. I ended up about 5L short on my first BIAB (and it tastes so damn good, I wish I'd been 5L over!) I was already a bit under anticipated OG, so I didn't feel like diluting it any further.

Sounds like it all went much smoother than a lot of other first timers around here lately. Hope it all turns out in the end!

Yeah, of all the problems I could have had, they were pretty minor. It was a relatively successful first attempt I guess, I was just surprised at how little boil off there was. Between that and grain and hops soak up, I only lost about 3L.

Does that urn getting to a good rolling boil going, or just a slow boil? That might account for a bit of the discrepancy. And also, being an urn, the shape is usually a bit bit skinnier than other vessels, so you get less exposed surface area, so less boil off.

MCHammo - the urn is a cheapo Chinese branded thing, 373mm diameter so not as skinny as it could be. It's 2.5kW and boils ok, definitely more vigorous than a simmer but not as full-on as . It's all part of the learning curve though, I imagine I'll adjust my start volume next time and end up with not enough wort :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back