First attempt at aussie mega swill - help appreciated!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't you rather mash at a higher temp then use the sugar to dry it out, like mhb has said elsewhere on this site.
I would assume this would be to avoid a "cidery" taste from being too fermentable but I also could be way off.
Also this way you could cut your mash times by half at least

I was mashing low because that seems to be the consensus.. I am new to this style I normally mash a lot higher as I like the body.

I successfully but accidentally almost perfectly recreated Carlton draught using 98pct barret burston ale malt, 2pct melanoidin malt, mashed low 65, 21 Ibu pride of Ringwood first wort, Saaz at 30, 15, flame out.

I used a German ale yeast and fermented low and slow with a diacetyl rest.

It is actually tastier than Carlton but not so much it would turn off a bogan. Hope your beer goes well!

jimmy86 said:
Wouldn't you rather mash at a higher temp then use the sugar to dry it out, like mhb has said elsewhere on this site.
I would assume this would be to avoid a "cidery" taste from being too fermentable but I also could be way off.
Also this way you could cut your mash times by half at least
That's a bit counterproductive, for a light bodied beer, mashing low will help with high fermentability and low body. Cider taste has nothing to do with mashing. Mashing low and adding super might push it too far, but only if you used a very high percentage of sugar.

Depends what you want from your beer. For a mid strength lager I like very low bodied, crisp and dry. Mashing at low 60's ( aim for 62 ) for a long time ( I do 90mins ) and adding under 10% dextrose works well in that regard. I like dingemans pils. The only issue is trying to just have one glass :), it just disappears before you know it.

motman said:
I successfully but accidentally almost perfectly recreated Carlton draught using 98pct barret burston ale malt, 2pct melanoidin malt, mashed low 65, 21 Ibu pride of Ringwood first wort, Saaz at 30, 15, flame out.
I used a German ale yeast and fermented low and slow with a diacetyl rest.
It is actually tastier than Carlton but not so much it would turn off a bogan. Hope your beer goes well!
I made a few pseudo lagers with wyeast 1007 german ale and it worked very well. But more malty but that's not a bad thing to me.

mje1980 said:
That's a bit counterproductive, for a light bodied beer, mashing low will help with high fermentability and low body. Cider taste has nothing to do with mashing. Mashing low and adding super might push it too far, but only if you used a very high percentage of sugar.

Depends what you want from your beer. For a mid strength lager I like very low bodied, crisp and dry. Mashing at low 60's ( aim for 62 ) for a long time ( I do 90mins ) and adding under 10% dextrose works well in that regard. I like dingemans pils. The only issue is trying to just have one glass :), it just disappears before you know it.
But isn't an Aussie lager just pale malt and 20% of your fermentables from sugar?
So wouldnt mashing high counteract it fermenting too low and add the dextrins required to give it that lacing which is required, without the need to use malts like carapils.
Having never brewed an Aussie lager I'm only suggesting how I would do it to recreate the said beer.
That and shit loads of yeast.

The mash schedule came from a brewer at CUB who will remain nameless :ph34r:
He stressed that they do a proper mashout (78 degrees I think) and the ramping up of the temperature would zap any starches that may not have been converted during the low mash.

Recipe sounds fine, but I wouldn't add anything for colour unless you are aiming for an old style beer like Reschs DA or Reschs Draught, the boil will put a bit of colour into it anyway.
Some carapils will improve head and lacing.

I had a few Megas at the club the other day and really there's little body or maltiness.

jimmy86 said:
This post Jimmy? Apparently New start their mash schedule at 70°C which surprised the hell out of me. 30% sugar for fermentables supports what you're saying. It's a different approach yes.
I'll never sue the homebrewer who drinks megaswill at the pub. I hear too that some chefs like dim sims.

Yeah that's where I read it then started to think it makes sense since sugar was cheaper than spec malts.
But the 30% just surprised me with how much is actually in there.

I have a heap of BB Pale, I'm tempted to do a couple of brews testing the low mash temp vs the high mash temp with identical recipe and fermentation schedules.

Remember it's 30% by SG, not weight (in case you weren't aware).
Please report back Bribie G. I'm happy to drop out to Old Bar for a sample when I visit mum in Taree if it has to come to that. I'm that committed in the interests of better brewing.

Bridges said:
Going with 95% JW Ale 5% JW wheat. Early POR to about 25 (or maybe a little higher) I like the idea of mashing long and low too. So will try that too. Ends up similar to bribie or smallfry's recipes from earlier in the thread I guess.
It needs to be done pretty quick so I'll fire up some US-05 at 18 or 19 degrees, hopefully it'll be done in about a week then CC about a week and Keg.
Now to read through all the threads on portable keg systems.
Not that I did it quick, decided to change my system from standard gas biab to electric automated recirc, 1 vessel. Having it's maiden run now and boil is going nicely. Not sure whether its the new rig or the POR which I've never used before but it doesn't smell particularly good at this stage (50min to go in the boil) normally I think my AG brews smell fantastic. But I've normally got a heap more stronger hop pellets in by now. Time will tell.

Thinking of making a XXXX Bitter improvement.
Not too bad from the tap when cold with a parmy.
Is it Cluster? Just for bittering or some late?

indica86 said:
Thinking of making a XXXX Bitter improvement.
Not too bad from the tap when cold with a parmy.
Is it Cluster? Just for bittering or some late?
I've been spewing out to my mates for years that XXXX is the only megaswill that doesn't use POR, but use Cluster. If i find out I'm wrong..... then I just won't say say it again :).

I lived in Queensland for years and was quite fond of the XXXX with a feed at the pub. I think sometimes beer is made for the people of the locale, their climate and other geographical and sociological factors that sometimes aren't appreciated by outsiders.

Apparently used to be cluster only, but now use PoR and cluster. When I do a XXXX clone I use one bittering addition of 35g cluster flowers.

FYI I did 40Ltrs filtered 20 and unfiltered 20. The filtered was a hit and went very quickly the non filtered tasted a bit sweater not so quickly, maybe from the higher mash but I think maybe the yeast in suspension.

All round I will make another double mash and mash lower and also not rush, I think the simple recipe is a mega swill winner ( don't want to admit it but it was really good)

Any thoughts on late additions and/or dry hopping with POR flowers for an improved Aussie lager.

I usually add 10g@10mins and at flameout on top of the 60 min addition. It has little noticeable effect.

I have more POR flowers than I can use this time of year, so am keen to find other uses.

Latest posts

Back