First attempt at aussie mega swill - help appreciated!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Aces. I will do one keg of it Wyeast 2042 and one keg US05

How'd this go syl? (if you can recall it was a while ago) I've got a fishing trip coming up and am planning a couple of kegs, one for me and one for the rest. I was thinking about something along the lines of your recipe.

If you have a cat see if you can get it to piss in the FV a few times.

I know what I like and I know what other people like, I have no problem with knocking up a keg of something flavourless and fizzy, means I can enjoy the other keg. On a hot day whilst fishing though I'll probably enjoy a simple but well made APA myself.
Some people enjoy seafood sticks too, I'm not about to rain on their parade.

brzt6060 said:
If you have a cat see if you can get it to piss in the FV a few times.
I don't have a cat so looks like I'll have to stick with one of the recipes outlined in earlier posts. Attitudes like this make your average bogan more defensive about how great whatever they are drinking is, and less likely to try a nice beer hopefully not being churned out by a multinational conglomerate. Thanks for your well thought out and intelligent input.

In answer to the original question, the beer was quite average IIRC. It was also not treated with much respect so I would be amiss to try and give any real critique.

I would do it again with the 2042 I'm sure.

Can you fill us in on what went wrong? My experience with these lagers is it's all about how you ferment it and of course, lager it. Your original recipe looked fine.
You mentioned you'd split it with 2042.

That's exactly it, it wasn't well fermented. It was put in my crappy temp controlled fridge at that point making room for a bunch of ales I cared for a lot more in the good fridge.

That's what I meant by a lack of respect and I would be open to doing it again properly with much the same recipe.

I'm also trying to decide if good old US-05 or for a bit of difference wlp007 is the go as I want to turn it around pretty quick, ie no lagering.

WLP007 is still very English, so probably not a great choice. Nottingham at the lower end if it's temp range is probably cleaner than US05, At least to my taste it is.

I believe I've read other threads where Nottingham was used at around 15°C for a 'faux lager', so sounds bang on. If 007 is anything like 005 then yes would not make for a lager, may make for a good beer albeit English-oriented.

Cool thanks guys, it really is almost an execise in restraint as the yeast 007 was just me trying to make it a bit interesting when I probably shouldn't, may give the notto a go though.

Notto did a faux lager for me at 15C and ate the sugaz in 3 days!!! Two packs hydrated as per packet instructions for a 20L batch

Was very clean, although can still tell difference with true lager yeasts and i have a very much untrained palate.

I brewed the Nelson Sauvin Summer ale as an introduction to my XXXX Summer and Tooheys Extra dry drinking friends and it was well received.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Notto did a faux lager for me at 15C and ate the sugaz in 3 days!!! Two packs hydrated as per packet instructions for a 20L batch

Was very clean, although can still tell difference with true lager yeasts and i have a very much untrained palate.
Same results here and also with an untrained palate.

Bridges said:
I don't have a cat so looks like I'll have to stick with one of the recipes outlined in earlier posts. Attitudes like this make your average bogan more defensive about how great whatever they are drinking is, and less likely to try a nice beer hopefully not being churned out by a multinational conglomerate. Thanks for your well thought out and intelligent input.
You are right what I said wasn't helpful and that joke is well and truly worn out. Sorry.

If I was trying to make a megaswill like beer I would at mash at lower temps for more fermentable sugars and a more dry finish, I would keep the IBUs low and go with a conservative flavor addition and minimal to no aroma hops. I would ferment with a clean yeast that gives minimal ester. I would also cold crash for an extended period of time maybe even two week and would likely use finnings as well.

Hopefully this more helpful then my original post. Plus collecting cat piss is harder then giving a cat a tablet...

bit late i know but i tried a bang on aussie lager at a bbbs meeting. was 4kg ale, 1 kg sugar, 20ibus with por and s23. i accidently added too much sugar to a coopers clone the other day so ill fire up some s189 and ferment at 15 for an ausssie lager

I did one with 4kg pilsner 500 grams sugar and a touch of roast Barley for colour. Fermented with s23 at 16. Its come out a cracking beer that my non craft friends are going to love.

ekul said:
bit late i know
Never too late.
All the input is great. brewing hopefully this weekend.
Going with 95% JW Ale 5% JW wheat. May throw in a few grams of choc malt to lift the colour a bit. Early POR to about 25 (or maybe a little higher) and still deciding about a bit of late saaz or something like coopers do in their mild which is great. I like the idea of mashing long and low too. So will try that too. Ends up similar to bribie or smallfry's recipes from earlier in the thread I guess.
It needs to be done pretty quick so I'll fire up some US-05 at 18 or 19 degrees, hopefully it'll be done in about a week then CC about a week and Keg.
Now to read through all the threads on portable keg systems.

Back