First attempt at aussie mega swill - help appreciated!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syl

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going to attempt my first mega swill on the weekend, for bogans attending our fantasy footy draft night. They have asked for 'Pure Blonde or Carlton'

Now I am not going to use any adjuncts to achieve this abomination and I have never even thought about the constitution of these things. I am also not going to go buy any ingredients for this - because **** that! - so I have to operate within a few parameters.

I was thinking something like:

GRAINS:
Pilsner 80%
Trad Ale 13%
Wheat 5%
Victory 2%

HOPS:
Super Pride @ 60 to 20 IBU's

YEAST:
US05

I have a lot of ingredients on hand - so feel free to recommends different malts, etc. Yeast I am limited to basically US05 as all my other yeasts are too exotic for this, which is why the biscuit malt.

And I can't fix the formatting as the editor won't load, tried 3 browsers....

My first reaction is "WHY?!? These people need to learn!!". But if they're serious...

I'd be worried that that grain bill might give you a bit too much flavour. I'd try with just the pilsner and ale and add a bit of dex to bump up the alc content. MAke sure you mash it nice and low so you dont get any meaningful mouthfeel.

@trussyd How can you get formatting? Is there something I am missing? I can't even quote you!!!

I am using this as a gateway beer, hence the grain bill, it is a beer to keep things similar whilst being better, basically make them comfy with Ringwood hops but move them over with better beer.

Also: the Reinheitsgebot is alive and well in my house. Water treatments and the big 4 ingredients only.

I will mash low though.

Interesting, I was trying my hardest to replicate what I was drinking from the grog shop last night, its not even megaswill! Its very hard to make such a bad beer in beersmith! lol

Just use 3kg of pilsner malt and add cane sugar to get the alc up, this should also attenuate high

You might surprise yourself with just how tasty and drinkable it comes out.

I regularly brew an Aussie Ale:
- 85% Pilsner
- 5% Carapils
- 10% Table sugar (yes, _table sugar_)
- Pride of Ringwood @ 60 to about 25 IBU's

Mash it low and long at 62 - 63 to give a nice dry mouthfeel.

Throw in a handful (5 - 10gm) of Saaz with 5 mins left in the boil, gives it a little extra hop zing, without making your mega-mates think it's fruit salad juice.

Can also be fermented with the Danish Lager strain.

Wish I had some now, in this heat...

Reading off the same page as SmallFry. He must know the same people at two breweries that I got the basic info from nudge wink.

This one won second in the pale lagers in the 2013 Nats and will delight any bogan.

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.500
Total Hops (g): 43.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (°P): 12.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.09 %
Colour (SRM): 3.0 (EBC): 5.9
Bitterness (IBU): 25.3 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Lager Malt Australian (77.78%)
0.500 kg Cane Sugar (11.11%)
0.500 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (11.11%)

Hop Bill
----------------
25.0 g Pride of Ringwood Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
18.0 g Hersbrucker Pellet (2.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 62°C for TWO HOURS then mashout at 78 for 20 mins.

Wyeast Danish Lager 2042
Ferment 13 degrees rising to 19 degrees over 10 days.
Lager -1 degrees for 7 days.

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Ive done a 100% Joe white ale malt, 500g Dex (ended up about 6% so in future I'd drop to 100-300g or omit completely) and a 60min addition of pride of ringwood before fermented with US05 and my mates said it was "the freshest tasting carlton" they've ever had.

Not going to lager it, this beer deserves no such justice! But thanks for all the feedback. So I will go with DJ's recipe and use the sugar as recommended, sounds like exactly what I am going for.

90% Joe White Ale
10% Sugar
Superpride to 25 IBUs
US05

And I will use your mash schedule - 2 hours at 62 and 78 mash out.

You don't have to run lagers at lager temps. I just ran S-189 at around 20 degree's. It's definitely a mega swill pleasing beer. It doesn't do much for me though...

slightly :icon_offtopic:

Why go to the effort of AG'ing it for em mate? The missus asked me to put a kit in for her as she really liked those beers (*ed: APA base), reluctantly I did, its actually turned out to be a decent beer... a wee bit of keg hopping and a bit of conditioning time..

took me an hour to make, (no grains at all) and dont tell anyone, it aint that bad.

Surely you can whip up a MS brew pretty easily from the can and keep it clean?

:icon_cheers:

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Ive done a 100% Joe white ale malt, 500g Dex (ended up about 6% so in future I'd drop to 100-300g or omit completely) and a 60min addition of pride of ringwood before fermented with US05 and my mates said it was "the freshest tasting carlton" they've ever had.
Ssssshhh you fool! we dont want humulus lupis to go extinct. I'm afraid your going to have to come with me, a Alpha (Acid) Officer. We are going to have to "re-educate" you to contain this cancerous style of brewing. :D

Was my first stovetop all grain!!

I am a proud supporter of the "Lupes", Yob where's the Sorachi at?? :icon_offtopic:

Put this down yesterday, what an easy brew day. 3 full cubes of 'Bitter Melbournian' done.

Mate is doing the tap handle for me now.

90% Joe White Trad Ale
10% Sugar
25 IBU SuperPride @ 60 mins

My house smelled like CUB. So should be quite accurate!

Thanks for the feedback everyone, will pitch a batch of this tonight and try it in a week or two, then post results!

**** sake ahb why are you so fucked argh!!!! formatting

Bradsbrew will fix it. He da fixa :ph34r:

Actually re Yob's suggestion with the kit, I use a 60L fermenter during the summer as I only have one temp control fridge so do double keggers.

My last brew was a lazy one as I couln't be bothered to do a double brew day:

COMPONENT ONE
5k pilsner malt AG mash
20g Chinook 60 min boil

COMPONENT TWO
tin Coopers Canadian blonde
two tubs Chinese rice maltose syrup

BRY-97 at 17 degrees for a week, 20 for a few days then crash down to -1 for four days.

I kegged it yesterday and drew off a glass or three today for sampling, so it's got a long way to go as you can see, but I reckon half the local bowls club would pay for this stuff and think they are drinking a CUB offering.

Brilliant heatwave buster. Give this a few more days to clear and condition I'll be more than happy. On the strength of this I went out and bought another tin and wil repeat for my next brew.

megaswill.jpg

wyeast Danish 2042 lager yeast as bribie g suggested

Either galaxy or pale ale as your main grain
60 minute Bitter with POR
15 minute addition POR & cascade

Aim for about 30 IBU. Makes a good drinking mega swill. My most bogan of swan draught/ emu bitter friends love this and I gotta say, I don't mind it as a easy drinking aussie lager.

The yeast makes all the difference

Latest posts

Back