First Apple Cider Proposal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats the opinion of this recipe

Item
4L Apple Juice
Champagne Yeast
1tsp Pectinase
50g Sugar
1/2 tsp yeast nutrients

Instructions

To make cider from juice

1. Pour 1l of apple juice into a demijohn, add the sugar after dissolving in a small amount of warmed water (250ml or less), add the pectic enzyme, yeast.
  2. After 1 day add 1l apple juice, repeat on days 3 & 4. All the juice could be added on day 1 but this gradual process possibly gives more flavour.
  3. On the last day make up to about 4.7l (this allows for wastage).
  4. Rack when finished.
  5. Bottle in plastic "pop" bottles with 1 rounded tsp sugar per 500ml & keep warm for a few days for the bottles to get "fat" with the secondary fermentation.
  6. Store somewhere cool for at least a month before trying.
  7. Enjoy your cider from juice!
Note: This cider would typically have an O.G. of around 1040 and a F.G. of 1000, giving about 5.8%ABV (including the priming sugar) and 0.74% acidity. For a less acidic cider the apple juice can be reduced to 3l and the sugar increased to 150g.
Stronger versions can be produce by adding extra sugar during stage 1, each extra 50g of sugar provides about 0.5% alcohol but try to resist the temptation of sacrificing quality for alcoholic strength!

this recipe is not mine I found it at:

http://www.brew-magic.co.uk/Cider_recipes/...from_juice.aspx

just do it.

bear in mind that apple varieties and sugar content of juice in the UK might vary from our's I'd expect you to get an OG of 1044-1052 from the juice alone, which is 5.8%-6.9% if it ferments out to 1000. Do you really need that tasteless extra sugar? do remember that alcohol effectively dilutes the product, making it thinner. and the sugar is getting converted straight to alcohol, use honey or something if you want more than just plain cider. A friend has used cranberries to very good effect. He just slices them in halves and throws a handful into primary.

I have decided to do a perry instead, I have been unable to get the apple juice I wanted.. Coles apologises that this product is temporarily unavailable... (yeh until Thursday when the special is over, then it will miraculously be available again) <_< ....how CONVENIENT!!!

with perry, how much sugar should I add per litre of juice??

Just make something already ! :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: I did.

I put pear/perry down. but now am thinking I didnt put enough sugar.. I put 1000g honey and 150g white sugar with 4L of tinned pear juice, yeast nutrients, pectinase, and EC-1118. I also put 1 TBL of tea, the juice of a very small lemon and 1 small cinnamon stick in the demi. Its bubbling away nicely.

That sounds suspiciously like a mead recipe I did (the tea and the lemon juice). I would have added the juice (for the acid to keep the yeast happy) but not the tea - the tea is for the tannins and I can't see that being good in a perry - though with the small amount (1 tablespoon is that?) - I can't see it hurting.

And more sugar? How strong do you want it? That looks like it'll be pretty kicking to me - or are you making a pear and honey wine? If so I think you're on the right track. With meads and wine it can be good to wait until it gets through some of the sugar before adding more. What was your starting gravity? I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out - it might take a while to reach final gravity though.

I meant 100g sugar (not 1000g, I just noticed my mistake now..)

My starting gravity was 1048.

Not honey?

Whatever it is it looks like it'll be a nice dry mead with that much champers. Alcoholic enough. Cider is easy to drink, so you don't want it too kicking.

yeh... grrr what is wrong with me.. This is what I put: 100g of Honey and 150g of White sugar..all the other ingredients are correct..

now I've looked over my post seventy times.. (it looks correct so I'll add my reply)

ok, so I planned on only letting it ferment for 14 days, then bottling and pasteurizing when they have carbed a little.

Haha - sorry. I wasn't meaning to be a smart-arse, it's just something that comes naturally I guess =).

That sounds like a tasty brew. Nice astringency due to the tea / lemon duo. Champers yeast should have no problems with that with the nutrient addition. It will be dry and acidic, but I don't think that's too bad a thing (the acidity should balance the dryness). If it's too much a dash of juice in the glass should bring it back. I'm doing something similar soon (I hope). Let me know how yours turns out Chookers.

What kinds of ciders do you usually favour?

Haha - sorry. I wasn't meaning to be a smart-arse, it's just something that comes naturally I guess =).

That sounds like a tasty brew. Nice astringency due to the tea / lemon duo. Champers yeast should have no problems with that with the nutrient addition. It will be dry and acidic, but I don't think that's too bad a thing (the acidity should balance the dryness). If it's too much a dash of juice in the glass should bring it back. I'm doing something similar soon (I hope). Let me know how yours turns out Chookers.

What kinds of ciders do you usually favour?

Hey Tanga, (I type without looking at the screen most of the time.. like wheres the keys)

:D I like tangy but not too dry. I think its draft cider or could have been the dry. I dont like them too sweet thats for sure. Im hoping this one turns out like Champers, thats what I'm going for.. will keep you updated.

I might do the Apple Wine that was in C J.J Berry's book.. it will have to wait until apples are a little cheaper per kilo, at the moment it is cheaper to buy the juice out of the fridge.. (i still like Nudie as its nothing but apples)

When this pear one is in the fridge I might do the apple wine or cider.. or lemonade, I got a theory about using coopers brewing sugar (as its only dextrose and Maltodextrin) to make lemonade which I will be testing out soon. Damn, I gotta get more Demijohns :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: I did.

I put pear/perry down. but now am thinking I didnt put enough sugar.. I put 100g honey and 150g white sugar with 4L of tinned pear juice, yeast nutrients, pectinase, and EC-1118. I also put 1 TBL of tea, the juice of a very small lemon and 1 small cinnamon stick in the demi. Its bubbling away nicely.

Here's an UPDATE:

This Pear (wine??) is still not clear.. it is clearer than it was in December, but its still quite cloudy... Will it ever clear??..

I bet it taste like Sh#t!!!!

I still have two cans left of Pear Juice

Latest posts

Back