First Alteration to a Kit.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phew. This app may be a little silly perhaps?

233gm of dextrose in 23L in PET bottles.

Whoa. 233g/23L is too much for pretty much any style. Possibly okay for German wheaties. You shouldn't get bombs if your batch is completely fermented out.

Cross them fingers.

*crosses fingers*

If I feel the bottles getting very tight (I'll be watching them closely now!) can I back the caps off just that little bit to release a bit of gas? Will this work?

Being in PET is a plus. As long as you don't mind it fizzy I don't think you've got too much to stress about. You want the bottles to get hard so I wouldn't use that alone as an indicator. Try one once they get hard and see if you think it is too much carb for your tastes.

A little practice and you'll work out were your preferences lie for future batches.

May I point out, that this calculator had the following three columns...

Corn Sugar, Sucrose and DME.
It suggested for an American Amber Ale (closest I could find to what I have) to add 168.25gm of corn sugar, 153.11gm of sucrose and/or 233.4gm of DME. It doesn't indicate if it's all three, or one of the three. I stupidly read the bottom figure, 233.4gm of DME and assumed that was what I should put in. Ignorant, yes. I didn't even read the DME postfix, just saw a D and went 'Dextrose' woo!

You may get gushers or foamers with that much carbonation. You can tell if they are way overcarbed if the PET bottles start to distort
Suggest you keep them in the fridge and cold it lessens the foaming. You can try loosening the caps and let some of the pressure out if you do find the pressure too high and the bottles bulging.

Once the bottles are hard

Once the desired level of carbonation is reached, store them in the fridge to discourage further yeast activity. DME is less fermentable than the other sugars, so if you used Dextrose at the DME required quantity, you will inevitably end up with too much carbonation - whether or not it will cause explosions remains to be seen. Crack open one and see if it's carbed enough and whack them in the fridge if so.

Latest posts

Back