First "all Malt"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightLager

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was thinking of doing an all malt. I believe that butters has suggested this is something to try.

I am planning:

Black Rock East India Pale Ale Tin
1kg of Light Dry Malt Extract
US-05 yeast
Brewing at 18C

Is this the "right style" to try for an all malt?

Do I need to put anything else in? Dextrose? More malt?

Cheers,

LL

Not sure of the kit specs But with a kilo of LDME I would suggest a small hops boil of some kind to offset the sweetness of the malt.

Cheers
Gavo.

Agree wth gavo. Depends on how heavily hopped the tin is, but in most cases, going all malt will require some additional hopping to re-balance it for the extra malt. It comes down to taste, as well, though. But i would be looking at doing a boil of some sort, probably in the region of 15-20g for 10-15 mins in 200g of the malt with 2L of water.

Sounds good. Harvest the yeast for another 6 brews at least.

Chuck about 20g Chinook in the boil for about 10 mins, works pretty well with this kit.

probably in the region of 15-20g for 10-15 mins in 200g of the malt with 2L of water.

Chuck about 20g Chinook in the boil for about 10 mins, works pretty well with this kit.

Thanks for your help....

As this will be my first boil, newbe statements.

1. boil 2L of water in a saucepan

2. add 200g of Light Dry Malt to the saucepan

3. add 20g Chinook for 10 mins

4. strain and add saucepan contents to wort

Sound good?

You could strain it, or just tip it all into the fermenter. The trub from the hops should settle out during fermentation.

:icon_cheers: SJ

As this will be my first boil, newbe statements.

Sound good?

Good to go mate... I tend to strain, but that is just personal preference, it will drop out into the trub after fermentation has finished.

have fun...

If using hop pellets, just tip in. However if using flowers then you can strain out through a kitchen wire strainer. I never let flowers loose in a fermenter as they love to block the tap or bottling cane... have gone through two bottling canes so far due to hop fragments.

I find that LDME can chuck a chill haze and for a clear beer, rack to secondary and use polyclar before bottling (dead easy, heaps of info on the forum). Alternatively spend a few more $$ and use a tin of light liquid malt extract which is specifically made for brewing - as opposed to LDME that is a commercial commodity for bikkies and confectionery as well, so not principally made with us brewers in mind.

Sounds good here, about what I would do in this case. As others have said you could also just tip the lot in the fermenter the hops will just settle out at the end of the brew. Try not to splash the hot liquid about to much. Hot side aeration and all that.

Cheers
Gavo.

Latest posts

Back