First All Grain Experiment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Molasses you can taste, never tasted brown or raw sugar unless you mean that fine grain brown sugar that clumps and smells like molasses. I have often thought about using molasses as priming sugar in a stout to get that slight licorice flavour but never have tried it, just in case it becomes overpowering.

That's it, Wide eyed, that thick raw sugar that's got the rich licorice-y bite to it. I've considered Belgian Dark Candi (going off Mike Tonsmiere's Courage RIS recipe), but given I've got a bit bag of the stuff in my cupboard, I thought I'd use that instead. I'm sure it won't have the same complexity of flavour that the syrup would, but the grain bill I'd be working with I think should add enough depth aside from it.

I like the idea of priming with it. If I give that a go, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Done raw sugar, golden syrup, molasses, treacle, all in stouts. Never brown sugar though. Might not get much flavour though from it.

I've used it in a few brews, unnoticeable highly fermentable no residual or discernible flavours i would treat it almost like sucrose, depends on colour though, i think molasses gives it the brown colour post refinement.

Used brown sugar in a Baltic porter recently. Not very noticeable at 5%

Latest posts

Back