First all grain brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooooo I just got some 8.1AA Saaz flowers off Sixstar. I'm guessing they are American Saaz. I might have to try this one next.

Pratty1 said:
A simple recipe is a good start to target 5% and 35ibu.

Usually 95/5 two malt combo is for IPAs, for a pale adding a third malt like Vienna will really set the malt profile.

80% Ale
15% Vienna
5% Crystal 70ebc or 100ebc

Mash that at 66c for an hour then raise temp to 78c for mash out.

Magnum is a good choice for bittering, target 15-18ibu from that addition.

Citra at 10m to make the remaining Ibu, when the boil finishes add 2g/L for a Hopstand, you can whirlpool the wort and get ready for chilling the beer.

Citra is very solid for aromatics and flavour, dry hop with the same amount 2g/L for 3-5days when fermentation has finished. Cold crash the fermenter to 4c when the dry hop stage is complete and transfer to the keg.

Google electric brewery and find the award winning recipe section, there is a heap of tried and tested styles for brewing.
Pratty, I managed to score some malts and hops for free from a local craft brewer, 3.5kg Vienna and 1.5 kg Wheat so could potentially go ahead with what you suggested although the Crystal I have is 40°L or EBC 105. Additional hops are 310g of Cascade and 40g of Simcoe, not sure how well kept these have been. So have Magnum, Galaxy, Cascade and Simcoe.

Starting to get into Beersmith so will adjust for the different hops.

Just been told the Cascade (opened but ziplock bag) and Simcoe have been stored at room temp only which is hot and humid here! Use by date is 2018 but I'm sure that's frozen or at least chilled.

Latest posts

Back