First Ag Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesunsettree

Drink Drank Drunk
Reaction score
hi all,

well the equipment is all ready and i had set aside the time to do first ag brew not this weekend but the next. however i (cant wait) and can fit it in this friday from about midday onward so i thought why the fk not! i intend to do a fairly simple brew to start with (some type of english bitter) and no chill so i can come back sunday with some spare time and whack it in the fermenter. thoughts on any obvious problems with the recipe would be appreciated but i'm not trying to fine tune ingredients i just want to pop the cherry so to speak on the equipment.

3.5 kg marris otter
1 kg munich
250g crystal
90 min mash

20g target @ 60
20g fuggles @ 20
20g ekg @ flameout (hop varities are in line with what i have as left overs from other brews :icon_cheers: )
min boil

s04 yeast

aiming for high 4s to 5% alc

thanks in advance
matt

Have recently bottled a very similar recipe which is tasting great.

However mine is all marris and crystal and a touch of biscuit with fuggles and EKG early and ekg and target late. Dry hopped with EKG and target. Lovely malty bitter with citrus and mint flavours from the late and dry hopping.

Based on Young's special london ale clone, uses london ale III wyeast.

Fuggles is earthy and sometimes described as woody or minty. Target is citrus (more subtle than american c-hops).

Looks alright - what's the target mash temp?

Also no-chill may knock your late hop additions to earlier ones. Flameout additions are generally considered to become 20 minuters with NC.

Have recently bottled a very similar recipe which is tasting great.

However mine is all marris and crystal with fuggles and EKG early and ekg and target late. Dry hopped with EKG and target. Lovely malty bitter with citrus and mint flavours from the late and dry hopping.

Based on Young's special london ale clone, uses londo anle III wyeast.

Fuggles is earthy and sometimes described as woody or minty. Target is citrus (more subtle tahn american c-hops).

Looks alright - what's the target mash temp?

i was thinking 64/65, i have been hitting 66 with my partials but have found they mostly drop down to 1010 post ferment and i was hoping to get around 1012-1014 so the beer has a bit more body to it, i dont really know if by doing this it will achieve what i want, or the beer was a little thinner cos they have been partials in the past. any thoughts? your hop additions sound good, i may vary mine as i do like youngs special ale.

cheers
matt

i was thinking 64/65, i have been hitting 66 with my partials but have found they mostly drop down to 1010 post ferment and i was hoping to get around 1012-1014 so the beer has a bit more body to it, i dont really know if by doing this it will achieve what i want, or the beer was a little thinner cos they have been partials in the past. any thoughts? your hop additions sound good, i may vary mine as i do like youngs special ale.

cheers
matt

If doing a 90 minute mash and aiming for English malty type I'd aim more for 67 -68.

Higher temp = more unfermentable/body/lower attenuation

Lower temp = drier finish/more fermentable

Longer mash temp also means more fermentable wort.

If doing a 90 minute mash and aiming for English malty type I'd aim more for 67 -68.

Higher temp = more unfermentable/body/lower attenuation

Lower temp = drier finish/more fermentable

Longer mash temp also means more fermentable wort.

thanks manticle, will adjust my worksheet. should i just do a 60min mash or will the temp adjustment take care of that. also i wont have insulation ready for my mash tun (old keg) yet (however my trusty rain jacket and blanket which have served me will in the past for my 18lt pot will be on standby) will temps loss be an issue you think?

cheers
matt

I've just started playing around with high mash temps and longer times so I'm no expert. However I believe it is common practice with both English and Belgian breweries. My limited experience so far suggests you can get a nice, malty bitter that attenuates well by doing this. Someone more experienced may give some better pointers.

Until last week my esky tun was insulated with a sleeping bag. I made a special camping mat foam jacket so it looks nicer and seems to hold temp better. The first 15-20 minutes is the most crucial. If you can limit your losses as much as possible over the course of the mash it's better but make the first 30 minutes constant then worry less about the rest.

assuming 75% eff. you should get around 4.3 abv and +2 on a 68 degree mash to retain some body in your pommy ale.

ok, gonna run with this.

Matts English Bitter

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052
Colour (SRM): 7.1
Bitterness (IBU): 37.3

3.5kg Maris Otter Malt
1kg Munich
0.2kg Crystal

20g Fuggles (6.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
20g East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
20g East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
10g Target (9.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Dry Hop)
10g East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 68C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20c with Safale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate[/url

brewmate tells me at 70% eff og 1052 fg 1013, bu:gu 0.72, bal value 1.57. pot alc 5.11%. dont really know what all this means but i'll go with it :icon_cheers:

cheers
matt

View attachment Matts_English_Bitter.xml

View attachment Matts_English_Bitter_txt.txt

ok, gonna run with this.

Matts English Bitter

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052
Colour (SRM): 7.1
Bitterness (IBU): 37.3

3.5kg Maris Otter Malt
1kg Munich
0.2kg Crystal

20g Fuggles (6.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
20g East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
20g East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
10g Target (9.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Dry Hop)
10g East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 68C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20c with Safale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate[/url

brewmate tells me at 70% eff og 1052 fg 1013, bu:gu 0.72, bal value 1.57. pot alc 5.11%. dont really know what all this means but i'll go with it :icon_cheers:

cheers
matt

No volume but for GU 52 it must be around 19L

S-04 usually around 70 - 72% AA% in reasonably fermentable wort at that temp.

Screwy

hi all,

ok so i put this in fermenter on sunday, prob whack some dry hop in today/tommorow. finally got around to sticking the numbers into brewmate. short story - 20l batch, 77% eff, og 1057, pot alc 5.14, 37.5 ibu, bu:gu 0.67, bal val 1.32. ended up doing a 90min boil as i thought i added a bit too much water at the start of the boil/sparge process. actually ended up about a litre short by the time i got it to the fermenter :blink: . all in all pretty happy with my first run.

i am considering the below as my second ag for tommorow arvo.

Matts German Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.600
Total Hops (g): 80.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.066
Colour (SRM): 14.9
Bitterness (IBU): 32.8
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.5 kg Munich I (80.36%)
1 kg Wheat Malt (17.86%)
0.1 kg Chocolate (1.79%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20 g Pride of Ringwood Pellet (9.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/l)
20 g Tettnanger Pellet (4.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/l)
20 g Hersbrucker Pellet (3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/l)
20 g Hersbrucker Pellet (3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Dry Hop) (1 g/l)

Single step Infusion at 68C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 20c with Safale K-97

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

any critiques are willingly accepted

cheers
matt

hi all,

ok so i put this in fermenter on sunday, prob whack some dry hop in today/tommorow. finally got around to sticking the numbers into brewmate. short story - 20l batch, 77% eff, og 1057, pot alc 5.14, 37.5 ibu, bu:gu 0.67, bal val 1.32. ended up doing a 90min boil as i thought i added a bit too much water at the start of the boil/sparge process. actually ended up about a litre short by the time i got it to the fermenter :blink: . all in all pretty happy with my first run.

i am considering the below as my second ag for tommorow arvo.

Matts German Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.600
Total Hops (g): 80.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.066
Colour (SRM): 14.9
Bitterness (IBU): 32.8
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.5 kg Munich I (80.36%)
1 kg Wheat Malt (17.86%)
0.1 kg Chocolate (1.79%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20 g Pride of Ringwood Pellet (9.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/l)
20 g Tettnanger Pellet (4.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/l)
20 g Hersbrucker Pellet (3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/l)
20 g Hersbrucker Pellet (3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Dry Hop) (1 g/l)

Single step Infusion at 68C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 20c with Safale K-97

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

any critiques are willingly accepted

cheers
matt

K-97 is crap....go US05

Latest posts

Back