First AG BIAB done, pictures, recipe and woes inside.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick JD said:
What's it taste like?
It tastes quite nice, quite watery, not as big as i was hoping obviously. Yeast flavour is pretty prevalent, but that's cause i'm literally drinking yeast.. Going to be adding coffee in a couple of weeks just before i bottle too.

oscarman said:
Do you know the specific name of these jerry cans?
couldn't tell you the brand name, but just google it and you'll see plenty. the one i have is this one (http://www.thebrewshop.com.au/plastic-jerry-can-1.html), and also the exact same one in a 23L version. they have a hole on the back side that lets you affix a tap like on your coopers FV.

if you're anywhere near a bunnings or camping store or home brew store, ask em, they'll have them. if not, ebay or whatnot. they're easy to find.

You've done pretty well for your first AG/BIAB.

My first AG came in way inder volume, but I didn't adjust the hops, so my APA turned into a fierce AIPA. Was still good.

You'll find your levels will improve once you get used to your system. Another brew or two, and you'll be spot on.
After 6 years of AG brewing, I can now predict almost exactly how much I get into the fermenter, just by doing it by sight in the kettle. I even adjust my preboil volume depending on how many hops I'm adding, as some brews absorb more than others.

Your eficiency will also improve, the first one is always a learning curve.

Keep at it, you're on the right track.

warra48 said:
You've done pretty well for your first AG/BIAB.

My first AG came in way inder volume, but I didn't adjust the hops, so my APA turned into a fierce AIPA. Was still good.

You'll find your levels will improve once you get used to your system. Another brew or two, and you'll be spot on.
After 6 years of AG brewing, I can now predict almost exactly how much I get into the fermenter, just by doing it by sight in the kettle. I even adjust my preboil volume depending on how many hops I'm adding, as some brews absorb more than others.

Your eficiency will also improve, the first one is always a learning curve.

Keep at it, you're on the right track.
Thanks mate!

Also, it looks like bits of husk on the top (quite possible that some grain got into the boil). Is this what it looks like? Has anyone seen this before?

Hard to know what it is, probably yeast and other solids.

Best advice is to stop worrying, nothing you can do now, sure it will turn out fine and stop opening the lid of your fermenter.....

Also sorry forgot to add, diluting does not affect the body or the flavour of the beer if you keep it in balance with original specs. Do it all the time and so do others, even got a few seconds :blink: in club comps with the said beers.

That ice cream container stc housing has to go in the ghetto gear thread.

Look what i found on the street! 23 litres, just need another now. How much head space do you need in primary? Would 3 litres be enough?

willow.jpg

Cleaned up pretty nicely, lids seal is still perfect, and is spotless on the inside. It's a Willow.

oscarman said:
Look what i found on the street! 23 litres, just need another now. How much head space do you need in primary? Would 3 litres be enough?

willow.jpg

Cleaned up pretty nicely, lids seal is still perfect, and is spotless on the inside. It's a Willow.
you might have got lucky with that one, another brewer might have thrown it out because of bad lacto and brett infection.... better yet it contained flesh eating bacteria, good news is like flesh not beer!!

beerdrinkingbob said:
you might have got lucky with that one, another brewer might have thrown it out because of bad lacto and brett infection.... better yet it contained flesh eating bacteria, good news is like flesh not beer!!
Yay for hard rubbish! Well there was actually a fermenter out the front of this place as well, but it was ******* gross and covered in cling wrap. I was hoping someone would come out so i could ask them about it. I'm gonna spray it with shitloads of star san solution and leave it until the next batch. Can you buy these at bunnings? I can't see them on the website, and i have no idea where you would buy them...

They should have them at bunnings, have bought a few there before. called a 20L jerry but it holds close to 23L like you said.

Update!

So i added about 1/2 a cup of cooled espresso shots that i poured at work using a coffee our coffee supplier hand mixed for me (he is a brewer too), it tastes ******* great! Really subtle coffee notes which add to the bitterness, and it has a big malty sweetness there too. Going to bottle next week probably.

nice work mate, looks great!

don't know exactly what floaty bits are, but most likely hops or protein. worry about things like empty glasses after you finish your beer or when you can next brew. :) although spider webs on the top of beer is also something to worry about...

which yeast did you use? I'm sure I've had a beer or two over the years that hasn't krausened the crap out of the fermenter, but couldn't tell you why sorry.

good job again, what's the next brew?

Adr_0 said:
nice work mate, looks great!

don't know exactly what floaty bits are, but most likely hops or protein. worry about things like empty glasses after you finish your beer or when you can next brew. :) although spider webs on the top of beer is also something to worry about...

which yeast did you use? I'm sure I've had a beer or two over the years that hasn't krausened the crap out of the fermenter, but couldn't tell you why sorry.

good job again, what's the next brew?
I'm jumping into the deep end, probably gonna do a crazy malty amber, or a imperial chilli choc stout... Oh yeah... Also when i get another fermenter to go in the fridge i will probably just pump out a few pales for the band.

Back