Firefox Has Gone Feral On Me

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this computer is only 2 days old I did a factory restore and traced my problem back to one of 29 updates Windows has done in the background without asking me. I guess I'll have to get used to it because I've discovered the other options are mostly more unpalatable.

Changed my mind already and installed Opera. Still having problems but it looks a good browser. Those dissatisfied with Firefox should consider it.

Since this computer is only 2 days old I did a factory restore and traced my problem back to one of 29 updates Windows has done in the background without asking me. I guess I'll have to get used to it because I've discovered the other options are mostly more unpalatable.
Got to love an OS that does things in the background without you realising...

Opera is definatly a good browser...way different and ahead of any other browser

Could always upgrade Vista to XP or did they give you a free downgrade voucher for Win 7 :rolleyes:

My corporate version of XP now will now not do updates anymore fails the WGA test or so it says. Was working fine until last month :unsure:

Just hate all these stupid upgrades that call for a system restart then screw everything up.

Good job I never disabled 'System Restore' or would just have a dead black box sitting on the desk.

Downloaded Opera but never installed as Firefox is still running well here and some of the add-ons are brilliant and I can't live without.

Now things are going from ridiculous to bloody bizzarre :huh:

I'm using IE at the moment because Firefox locked up the computer half an hour ago because it got stuck trying to open a PDF so I ended the program with the three finger salute. Anyway in IE I opened a new tab and here's what it looked like when it loaded:

weird_google__page.JPG

It's gone and done a search on the Chinese hop bulk buy, which I obviously had on my clipboard after adding my name to the list. The world is going mad I tell you, mad :rolleyes:

I've worked out that one of the updates (not sure which) doesn't like the link scanner in my anti-virus - which is strange because I had no problem with the exact same set-up a few weeks ago. Changed the settings for that one and Firefox is performing much better.

Will resist the temptation to say " Ditch windows and go Linux " :ph34r:

**** Linux. If I didn't need a Windows machine I'd be going Mac.

SWMBO has a MAcbook....I will definatly be sticking with Linux...

Linux is still running on shitty, conflict causing, next to no quality control hardware. My SWMBO also has a Macbook and it kicks this thing's dick in.

lol Nice work though, QB.

Linux is still running on shitty, conflict causing, next to no quality control hardware. My SWMBO also has a Macbook and it kicks this thing's dick in.
Exactly - it can and does run on poor hardware. It makes pretty good use of that hardware. Hardware that can be replaced. What happens when a piece of (cr)Apple hardware fails?

My new laptop is top-shelf, and it runs linux just lurvely. You can't blame linux if people want to run poor hardware.

lol Nice work though, QB.

WTF....My Dell setup has no conflicts and the quality is damn good....Its not Linux fault if the USER chooses poor quality hardware...

Problem solved, I've uninstalled FF and IE 8 and now using Opera. It's a tad faster and doesn't do stupid bloatware things like trying to helpfully put me back into a malicious site when I have rebooted to get out of it. Also it remembers my usernames and passwords so I don't have to re log into AHB every time. Nice piece of software so far.

Latest posts

Back