Setting Up Mirc For Ahb Chat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamt

Too busy (lazy) to brew.
Reaction score
The java chat built-in to the website is usable, but can sometimes result in problems. The chat is much more stable on a stand-alone IRC program such as mIRC.

-IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat.

-Using a program such as mIRC, you can establish a connection to an IRC server, where you can join channels and interact with other users who are also in that channel.

-The AHB chat is located on the server called irc.irsee (irc.irsee.org), in a channel called #ahb

SETTING UP MIRC

1. Download mIRC from www.mirc.com and install.

2. Run mIRC.

3. You should see the following window.

mirctut1.JPG

Enter anything you want into "Full Name" and "email address", for example mine are "asda" and "[email protected]".

Enter the nickname you want people to see you as, e.g. "AdamT", alternative as "AdamT_". Make sure it is something fairly unique (Like AdamT over Adam). Someone might "own" your nickname if it is too generic.

You don't really need Invisible Mode on, doesn't make much difference.

4. Click on the "Servers" options tab to get to this window.

mirctut2.JPG

EDIT: Part 4 is now obsolete due to server change.

5. Click the "Options" tab and disable "Pop up Connect Window on Startup".

6. You are all set up and ready to go! Click OK, and type in the following command into the console in the "Status" window:

/server irc.irsee.org

mirctut4.JPG

Wait! You're not connected yet, the next part can take a minute or two.

mirctut5.JPG

Now you're connected!

Disable "Pop up favourites on connect". Close the favourites window.

Type in the console: /join #ahb

That's it! A "Channel Window" should pop up with the chat interface. You can see who is online by looking at the sidebar on the right. You can type to the channel by typing in the bottom line of the channel window.

ChanOP is not a real person, and people with @ (op) next to their name are channel operators (like forum moderators) who can (and will!) kick and/or ban people from the channel if they are not treated with the sincerity and respect that they deserve! :ph34r:

You can change your nickname by the following command either in the status window or the channel window: /nick newnick

You can "emote" by using the /me command. i.e. By typing "/me is brewing at the moment", everyone else would see " * AdamT is brewing at the moment ".

----

The next time you run mIRC all you have to do is click the connect button, wait until youre connected and then "/join #ahb"

mIRC is downloadable as an "30 day evaluation" version, after 30 days you get a window popping up asking you to buy it. You can still use it without buying it but you have to wait a few seconds before you can close it. I've heard there are cracks available, but I don't... know anything about them *cough*.

I've started using IRC about 7 years ago, just restarted using it a few months ago. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask them here and I'll try and help you out!

-Adam

Latest Edit: Please PM me if anything doesn't make sense due to the server change.

Attachments

• mirctut3.JPG
    mirctut3.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 29
I've heard there are cracks available, but I don't... know anything about them *cough*.

Now why would ANYONE want to to crack software.... :ph34r:

Its naughty :p

I've heard there are cracks available, but I don't... know anything about them *cough*.

Now why would ANYONE want to to crack software.... :ph34r:

Its naughty :p
Don't steal. Get yourself a copy of xcaht2 instead. A nice clean interface and it's free.

You can get it here www.silverex.org/download/

Latest posts

Back