Finings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinfathisar

Reaction score
I have two packets of finings here, one Brigalow one is Copper Tun. One pkt tells me to add, stir and wait a few days - the other tells me to add immediately before bottling. Which is the more accurate?

You are best to add and wait a few days to allow the yeast to fall. If you add finings at the same time as bottling, you can get truly spectacular results in the bottle - however you can also get "fluffy bottoms" were the sediment rises up in clouds when you tip the bottle and undoes all your good work. :)
The clearer the beer into the bottles, the less sediment you will eventually have in the bottoms. Also don't worry if the beer is really clear going in, there will still be enough yeast cells to give secondary fermentation.

i use a liquid one and its says leave for a day or 2..and thats what i do..if you have used whirloc/irish moss in your brew already you wont need finings

I would say the wait a few days before bottling got to give it some time to work.

Don't stir it into the brew though that would risk oxidisation unless you are really gentle. Most would advise making up the finings in a sanitised vessel with some cooled boiled water first and then pour that gently into your beer then leave a few days. If the finings happen to be gelatine then there is a comprehensive guide in the 'Common Ground' section of the forum.

P.S. I use Wards edible gelatine from the supermarket cheap as chips and it works for me just fine.

if you have used whirloc/irish moss in your brew already you wont need finings

?

Whirlfloc targets break material in the kettle, gelatin finings, isinglass etc target yeast, isinglass also targets haze proteins as does polyclar.

Different applications.

Time, gravity and cold conditioning drop out all the materials various finings will.

To answer the OP - wait a couple of days.

Back