Finings And Chill Haze

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreadhead

Reaction score
Hi, just been doing a bit of reading about chill haze, and while personally I haven't had any problems with it (haven't done too many batches though), would like to know how to prevent it as a precaution.

Does a product such as Kopperfloc have any influence on chill haze? On craftbrewer it states that Kopperfloc "Improves beer stability by removal of haze forming proteins & beta-glucans." Is this referring to cold-break protein complexes? or hot-break? or neither?

I'm aware that rapid chilling of hot wort and Polyclar allow the precipitation of cold-break protein/polyphenol complexes out of suspension, however, ATM I don't have a fancy cooling device (e.g immersion chiller etc), nor the ability to hold wort or conditioning beer at temps below 10 deg for the use of Polyclar (no space in fridge). Anyone got any other methods?

BTW I currently brew with DME with specialty grain and hop additions, I assume AG brewing may introduce another truckload of factors relating to beer haze.
Thanks for your help. :icon_cheers:

Break is precipitated as part of the production process of extracts, so don't stress it.
As far as other proteins are concerned, without the ability to go cold, you're going to go around in circles. There are several methods, but all involve chilling the beer to allow clumping and precipitation of proteins, either naturally over time, or with the use of a process agent like pvpp.(plyclar or similar).

I don't know what your circumstances are but I too am really strapped for fridge space. My brewery fridge will just hold a 25 L fermenter but everything else (grains, yeast, hops, tomorrow's beer :lol: etc has to be moved into an esky overnight. I even have to take out the door racks/little shelves so the door will close.

I chill down the racked beer then take it out, put it back on the bench, mix in the Polyclar slurry and there it sits for three days before bottling.

According to the Polyclar instructions on adding it to the chilled beer it's done its job in a few minutes because it says: filter now, or rack off lees after three days.
No real point in keeping it cold for three days and it works for me.

Polyclar.JPG

Just a hint if you can put up with the hassle of emptying a fridge into an esky then reloading the next day.

Latest posts

Back