Finally Used My Beer Filter!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should be getting my filter in a couple of weeks but my gas is in the lounge room and the filtering and kegging will take place in the garage brauhaus. If I take the empty keg into the lounge then flush the keg and take it back to the garage will the CO2 be heavy enough to 'pool' in the keg so when it's full there will be little or no oxygen in the headspace? Up to now I have put 90g of sugaz into the keg as if it's a big bottle and after a week or so burped it thoroughly before connecting it to the lines in the kegerator so presumably would have flushed 99.9999 of any oxygen.

Anyway, as far as I am concerned, a filter isn't necessary if time is on your side. I have a galaxy pale ale on tap and it is as clear as you could imagine and I only used whirlfloc, gelatin and time.

My 1st AG beer that I did I only used whirlfloc, and time in my kegerator and it came out nice and clear. However the 2nd AG i did is a different story and is the beer that started this thread.

I should be getting my filter in a couple of weeks but my gas is in the lounge room and the filtering and kegging will take place in the garage brauhaus. If I take the empty keg into the lounge then flush the keg and take it back to the garage will the CO2 be heavy enough to 'pool' in the keg so when it's full there will be little or no oxygen in the headspace? Up to now I have put 90g of sugaz into the keg as if it's a big bottle and after a week or so burped it thoroughly before connecting it to the lines in the kegerator so presumably would have flushed 99.9999 of any oxygen.

If you bleed of the air that is in the keg you are filling with CO2 then there shouldn't be any issues. I assume you mean you want to fill the keg that you are filling from the filter with CO2?

If you want to filter using CO2 (as in pushing from one keg->filter->2nd keg) then you could always do what I do...if practical.

Put in a John Guest (quick release) check valve (or joiner) on your gas line coming from your co2 bottle to your kegs/manifold and if your bottle is small enough to move around easy enough all you have to do is un hook the gas line and take the bottle/reg and hose with you to the garage where you are doing the filtering. Saves any other stuffing around.

Pok

Back