Finally Doing My First Partial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefty

Reaction score
Well, it's been in the pipeline for months now but this weekend I'm finally doing my first partial.
It's a Red Ale:

3kg LME
500g Carared
200g Caraaroma
20g Roasted Malt Barley
500g Wheat Malt (Had a chat with Ross and he convinced me to use this instead of Carapils for good head)
40g EK Goldings 60mins 19IBU
25g EK Goldings 20mins 6IBU
S-04 yeast

Boil will be mashed grain liquor and possibly some of the extract (have to re-check my calculations) and whatever extra water I need to top up to 12L.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, although I guess they may end up purely academic coz I've already placed the order! :)

Cheers!
Jono.

Looks the goods Jono.

Bear in mind a couple of things on the hopping, which is often overlooked....

If you need to adjust your hopping at all, an extract (or partial), has the benefit that you can adjust the utilisation by adjusting the BG instead of the hop weight. That way you can leave the hop weights, and therefore the weight:volume the same (if you want to) for more easily repeatable results. It's a luxury that AG brewers rarely have.

If you do need to adjust hopping in relation to the bitterness level, but not the flavour level, and do so by adjusting weights, adjust the 60minute addition only, so as not to impact on the flavour (as much).

But the recipe looks good to me, anyway, so don't see how any adjustments would really be made, other than to cater for personal tastes. ;)

Cheers Butters!
Yeah, I did some calculations a while back and was mainly working with 12L to allow plenty of room for boil overs in my new 19L pot. I realise that this will probably leave stacks of room but it's my first full length boil and the slightly lower figure will also give me some room to move with utilisation like you've suggested.

Jono.

Well, I got it down on Saturday. Mini-mashing is so much easier than it sounds!
And, oh, the beautiful smells that wafted through the house from mashing all the way through the boil! :icon_cheers:
The pre-started S-04 had air through the airlock in just over on hour!
By new years I should have a beautiful ruby-red ale at my lips!

Jono.

Good stuff, jono. Glad to hear it went off well. :beerbang:

Back