Final gravity, is it right? Or did I not pitch enough yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angmar

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here so I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes anyway.

I bought myself one of those handy 19L big w pots recently and made my first partial mash with it,

Did up a Dunkel Rye-zen (it was supposed to be a weizen but well, they had only 1 bottle of bavarian wheat malt left!) on Monday.

Recipe was:

1.5kg Briess Bavarian wheat LME
1.5kg Briess Rye LME (I think it had been on the shelf a while...)
500g light DME
160g Weyermann Chocolate Wheat malt (Steeped)
250g Weyermann Carawheat (Steeped)
300g Weyermann Caramunich Type II (Steeped)
200g Weyermann Carahell (Steeped)

31.9g Hallertau @ 60mins

Mangroves Jacks M20 Bavarian wheat yeast, 10g sachet

I steeped the grains for 30 minutes at 65 degrees in about 10 litres, gave them a stir halfway through, sparged the bag of grains in a bowl with some hot tap water.
Boiled the lot in about 15 litres for 60 minutes

Starting gravity in 23 litres was 1.054
Current gravity has been sitting on 1.022 for two days now
Initial temperature was 20, though it rose to about 22 on the third day and has stayed there since.

Unfortunately due to not getting my flask on time I didn't do up a starter and just pitched my yeast into the fermenter, so I'm worried that the final gravity is still a bit high. Did I under pitch the yeast ? Or is 1.022 a final gravity you would expect with the chosen grains/malts. It tastes pretty good right now, not too sweet, I just don't want to bottle it before it's finished.

I doubt it is done! Give it a swirl to try and activate the yeast then wait a bit

as ya mum used to you, keep your hands off :)

have a look at it on Wednesday, 1.022 for some reason is common stall point.

leave it at 22 degree's, a "GENTLE" swirl/move may rouse the yeast. but I'll do nothing.

Could well be done with what amounts to a metric shit tonne of "specialty" grains.
You have what amounts to 750g of cara type grains plus 160g of chocolate.
Cara / crystal etc grains have non- fermentable sugars - that will not ferment and give sweetness and mouthfeel and body to beer.

BTW you beer is not a partial as there was not any "mashing" only "steeping".

As per indica86. Loads of cara, roast, extract. Could be done. Do a fast ferment test to check, if it has more to go, rack, pitch active starter, etc.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a few more days, I'm about to head to the Jenolan caves and wont be back till Monday night anyway. I'll give it a swirl now, and if it's still around 1.022 when I get back I'll try a fast ferment test. But yeah, as Indica suggested, it could very well be done with all those specialty grains, going to be an interesting beer!

I'll improve my use of brewing terms next time by making a real partial mash!

Back